Help - Cabot and Mortimer Clarke Solictors

Options
I hope someone can help.

In 2005, I took out a credit card with Lloyds TSB. Due to a change in financial income, I stopped paying Lloyds in 2014. Stupidly, after getting numerous threatening letters by Cabot, I paid them a nominal £5 a month from 2017 until around May 2020 when I ceased payments. So it’s not statute barred.

Fast forward, yesterday I received a letter from Cabot stating my account is being passed to their internal solicitors, Mortimer Clarke. They will be writing toy be in the next 7 days. From what I have read online, they seem to like going down the CCJ route, which is what I want to avoid. The amount owed is around £3,300 of which I can’t afford. I’m struggling to make ends meet as it is. I am preempting things and was wondering if I can been given advice on what I should do? Should I wait and see if should I start asking for the relevant documents to be sent (such as the original credit agreement and default notice, etc)? I am new to this so I apologise in advance for my naivety.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,902 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 April at 11:27AM
    Options
    They are not expecting payment in full from you, an offer of monthly payments, of an amount you can afford, will be accepted.

Obviously they don`t know why you stopped paying, when Mortimer Clark write to you, they will likely ask you to complete an SOA, to determine your financial position.

It would be in your interests to either provide it, or explain your circumstances to them, if you can`t afford to pay, tell them so, affordability is key, so if your in no position to pay, just say so.

They will not proceed with legal action if your financial position does not support it, save the paperwork request for when you might need it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At best, the OP would benefit from a session with a debt advisor. If they can't afford a £3k debt, they are unlikely to have £1k+ for an hour and a bit with a solicitor who fills in a form for them.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure