How long does a tax refund take to reach your bank via BACS?

Options
Anyone had a recent tax refund and can tell me how long it took to reach your account via BACS?

It's been a long process getting this sorted, but it showed I was due a refund this morning. I've given my back details first thing so any ideas how long it should take? 

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    From 'repayment pending' status - mine took about 2 months.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anyone had a recent tax refund and can tell me how long it took to reach your account via BACS?

It's been a long process getting this sorted, but it showed I was due a refund this morning. I've given my back details first thing so any ideas how long it should take? 
    Was it from a Self Assessment return or did you receive a P800?
  • Angelcrackers
    Angelcrackers Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On my online HMRC account it said on the PAYE part that I had overpaid my tax by £xxxx and to provide bank details for refund. I did this and assume this would mean it would arrive in the next few days. But do you think this is unlikely? 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 April at 5:14PM
    Options
    On my online HMRC account it said on the PAYE part that I had overpaid my tax by £xxxx and to provide bank details for refund. I did this and assume this would mean it would arrive in the next few days. But do you think this is unlikely? 

Ùnlikely to be 'days'. (But who really knows?)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    No, I think it will be within a week.

See the Introduction here,

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye91037
  • Angelcrackers
    Options
    No, I think it will be within a week.

See the Introduction here,

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye91037
    Thanks that's really helpful. 
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I submitted the request three times last year from my online tax account, each request separated by a month apart and despite the system online system saying it would happen inside two weeks - even giving me a transaction ID code -  it never happened and the money is still in my HMRC credit to this date.  Now we have closed the tax year I have tried again and will report back if it happens this time.  They are quick to want *their* money off of you but are much slower refunding it! 🙄
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    I submitted the request three times last year from my online tax account, each request separated by a month apart and despite the system online system saying it would happen inside two weeks - even giving me a transaction ID code -  it never happened and the money is still in my HMRC credit to this date.  Now we have closed the tax year I have tried again and will report back if it happens this time.  They are quick to want *their* money off of you but are much slower refunding it! 🙄
    I suspect you are talking a completely different system (Self Assessment).

The op was refereeing to a refund from HMRC's PAYE system.

Your refund may be caught up in this,

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/self-assessment-manual/sam113010

• pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For Self Assessment it has typically been about 1-2 weeks for it to go to 'paid' then the usual couple of days BACS itself takes in my experience.
  • Angelcrackers
    Options
    Update - it's shown as paid today on the PAYE home page of my account. So is it still likely to be 5 working days until it actually hits the account? Surely if it's by Bacs or something it should be quicker, shouldn't it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback