Cancelling gym membership

Options
My son is wanting to cancel his Snap fitness gym membership. He asked the manager at his local gym how he would go about this and she basically told him (apparently) that as he has missed the 30 day cancellation window before his 12 month contract ended and he has automatically been entered into a new 12 month contract which he can not get out of without a fee. She directed him to his contract:
This Agreement is a legally binding obligation for which I am financially responsible. If have a prepaid membership, I
acknowledge that the fee paid is not refundable under any circumstances. If have a term membership, my membership will
automatically renew after the term ends and lwill continue to be billed according to my regular billing schedule unless
provide notice of cancellation. A term membership has an early cancellation fee of £75.00.1agree not to conduct any kind
of commercial or business activity in the Club and will not act as a personal trainer for anyone within the Club. l understand I
am responsible for updating my address and contact information.
CANCELLATION 
After my right to cancel period noted earlier (f any), Imay cancel my membership by giving notice by filing out
cancellation form at my home club. The notice willbe effective on the last day of the month which is at least 30 days from
the date of my notice, and Iwill be required to pay all fees up until that date and any outstanding fees for other services
already supplied to me, regardless of whether or not I use the club after the date of my notice. If collection or legal services
are needed to collect any unpaid amount, lam responsible for all costs of collection, including solicitor's fees of Club
Owner and/or Licensor. If I die or become totally or permanently disabled, upon reasonable written notice to the Club with
proof of the death or disability, either Ior my estate may cancel this Agreement and receive a prorated refund of the
unused portion of membership fees incurred.
I am reading this that he can put a cancellation in, however he is adamant that is not the case and not what the manager told him.
Can I have some thoughts please?
Thanks 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think what it's saying is that you can cancel - but you will still be charged up to the end date whether you use the club or not.

Cancellation and getting a refund are different things.

You have a 12 month contract that you have elected to pay in 12 monthly installments.

Cancelling the contract, does not remove your commitment to the fee.
  • Aly13
    Aly13 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    He is out of his initial 12 month contract.

So therefore should be able to put a 30 day cancellation request in and pay for that period, correct? 

That is how I read it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure