EV charger and tariff

Options
2»

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A compatible charger or car with Octopus can get you on Intelligent GO which is 6 hours at 7.5p and can be used for the whole house.   This is plenty of time to run the washing machine, dishwasher, and fill my house battery. 

I also thought the consensus was that Granny Chargers as well as being riskier also waste more electricty while charging? 

Finally the BG offer for a charger doesn't seem massivley generous to me... but I may be wrong
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    If you had to buy a fast charger,  I'd go with ohme or zappi as they are compatible with intelligent octopus, which is 6 hours for whole house at 7.5p.

However my friend recently bought a Tesla and used the front of the granny charger, with a Tesla converter and just plugged it into a commando plug.
    Essentially turning the granny charger into a fast charger, which is definitely the cheapest way to do it.

Obviously that works because Tesla is on the octopus list.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,205 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Eon NextDruve v3 now gives me 7 hours at 6.9p per kWh.  You just need to have an EV, the type of charger is of no consequence. 

I control my granny charger with a Tapo P110 device that tells me the electricity consumed.  Whenever I checked, the charging efficiency was 90% so I guess that means I pay 7.7p per kWh of stored charge.  If I could achieve the claimed range of my car that would get me about 4 miles.    
    Reed
  • Solarchaser
    edited 12 April at 1:01PM
    Options
    Is eon not EV only though?
    I use octopus as its whole house, so I can heat my water tanks and charge my batteries for that same 7.5p

If eon is whole house, it might be worth considering moving

As far as claimed range, I think the Tesla 3 is supposed to be 360, I generally get 280, but it does tend to be 4 miles per kwh
    West central Scotland
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    Is eon not EV only though?

No, not at all.  I heat my hot water and warm up the house with my heat pump, charge the battery that I got with my solar PVs and run the dishwasher and washing machine all on the cheap rate, quite apart from charging my EV as necessary.  The heating I do mostly between 5 am and 7 am so the house is warm when I get up, not two hours earlier.
    Reed
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    I had a look,thanks.
    7am finish is alot better than octopus 5:30am and 7 hours definitely better than 6.
    6.9p is better than 7.5p.

I reckon I'd save around £80 a year, however higher standing charge brings that to £60

Peak rate is 29.2 eon vs 26.5 octopus, not that I use much peak rate, generally under 2%, but part of the calculation.

And the down side is that depending on my driving month I could use the intelligent part of octopus to put 10 hours of charging in the car at 7.5p up to 5 times a month.

So I'm a soft no at this point, however it's great to see other companies offer competitive rates, as that will keep octopus on their toes and stop them getting complacent,  and thats never a bad thing.
    West central Scotland
  • Reed_Richards
    edited 13 April at 6:19AM
    Options
    I don't know if this offer is still on but Eon Next were offering the same sort of recruitment incentive that Octopus do (or did?).  I can still find a link to the offer:  Refer a Friend and get £50 account credit | E.ON Next (eonnext.com) so you would just need to find the right friend.

Reed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure