Lightbulb moment - but now queries.....

Options
2»

Comments

• gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    how does an ex husband tie you to live where you are, im 650 miles from ex wife and the further the better , and we are in the UK 
     the only thing that legally prevents you moving is if you are moving abroad with his children and he has to agree to that.
    I originally moved 100 miles from her and had access to my daughter, but it was up to me to do the journey to collect her fortnightly, then I decided I'm moving far south coast , new job, new home, new partner and that was that.

ex wife could not stop me, just meant I saw my daughter less. 

as kids grow up , they start to become "annoyed" with mummy or daddys access rights, soon they will rather spend every weekend with their school friends hanging out and about.

then comes the point where they decide when they want to see you, when they're not too "busy" 
    It depends on the circumstances and depending on what the CAO says about the time the children spend with the ex-husband, and what the arrangements etc are now including age of the children and any potential school changes etc. 
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To my eyes, the steps you've taken seem good. It's a shame about the workplace loan, but I don't think there's much way around that. Keep building up an emergency fund while you wait for defaults to happen and good luck
  • Andyjflet
    Andyjflet Posts: 564 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 April at 12:53PM
    Options
    how does an ex husband tie you to live where you are, im 650 miles from ex wife and the further the better , and we are in the UK 
     the only thing that legally prevents you moving is if you are moving abroad with his children and he has to agree to that.
    I originally moved 100 miles from her and had access to my daughter, but it was up to me to do the journey to collect her fortnightly, then I decided I'm moving far south coast , new job, new home, new partner and that was that.

ex wife could not stop me, just meant I saw my daughter less. 

as kids grow up , they start to become "annoyed" with mummy or daddys access rights, soon they will rather spend every weekend with their school friends hanging out and about.

then comes the point where they decide when they want to see you, when they're not too "busy" 
    Not sure that this is particularly helpful to be honest. I would be pleased my ex gave some consideration to me when moving or job opportunities etc. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see my children less whatever the financial circumstances. 
    Baby Step 6/7 - £64000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
    Currently Negotiating with HMRC !
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     just meant I saw my daughter less. 

This made me so sad to read.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April at 2:41PM
    Options
    that's what happens when marriage fails, my access rights were mutually agreed with ex, but we also agreed we could both move anywhere, except out the UK 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    that's what happens when marriage fails, my access rights were mutually agreed with ex, but we also agreed we could both move anywhere, except out the UK 
    Anyone can move wherever they wish but moving children is another matter and may need the permission of the other parent or a court after looking at all the details.

In this case moving to a new part of the country and having to find a new home, new job and new schools leaving behind friends and support networks,  even if supported by the other parent is unlikely to be the answer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback