Quitiapine

I have just started taking quitiapine for bipolar disorder one of the listed side affects is weight gain, has anyone experienced this, i have been trying to keep my weight down does this medication make you hungry therefore increasing your weight??? i would appreciate any info.

Comments

• mr_rush
    mr_rush Posts: 597 Forumite
    Unfortunately most mood stabilisers have weight gain as a side effect. It is not uncommon with quetiapine although it is not one of the more prominent ones.
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30003675/
    If weight does become a problem then discuss with your Dr.
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Hi sogs!:santa2:
    How are you angel?
    The best person to answer this would be your gp or your chemist, hun. Your chemist has your medication details and they are a great source of information. Always check out your queries with your medical professional, angel. How one medication affects some people can be completely different to how it affects other people. They have to list every possible side effect experienced, even if it was only by a few people, as a precaution. It's always a good idea to read the info slips in meds but we should try and keep things in perspective.
    We can't discuss medications as such hunnie but, imho, if you need any medication, you should take it as prescribed by the dr. Weight gain can hopefully be addressed in some other way, if it becomes an issue. If the med helps you, then surely, that's what counts the most.wink.gif
    Hope this helped a little angel.sLo_hug2.gif
    Much Love,
    Tiff xxx
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • my daughter has been taking this for about 2 weeks now, I've not noticed any changes in her appetite or anything but she is sleeping much better.. I'll watch this thread with interest tho for further information :)
    ☆ §ügÅr cØÅTëÐ pØï§Øn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41 :dance:
    12 stone down! :j
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• It's pretty bad for weight gain.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure