PRA help

Options
I have a CC debt which unfortunately due to circumstances I am unable to pay. I had to stop working in order to care for my disabled son, so on UC and carers. The debt is pre 2008.

I requested a CCA however part of what PRA sent me is historical terms and conditions which are very hard to make out, you basically need to use a camera and zoom in even then some of it is hard to make out. Is this acceptable/enforceable? It does have my original address. I also keep getting an automated call every day, even weekends, despite specifically stating due to my sons sensory issues I only want to deal via letter.

They have sent me a letter stating it is with its Investigations and Litigation's department for possible litigation recovery, stating I have 30 days to set up payment plan.

Any advice?

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was there ever a period of six years when you paid nothing towards this debt (5 years if you are in Scotland)?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Grumpy_Old_Git_2024
    Options
    no its been about 1 year
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    So you were making payments to this for 15 years? Were you making token payments and these are now unaffordable?

You can try a settlement deal if you have a lump sum, but it sounds like you do not.

Leaves a couple of options.

You could ask them to write it off by explaining there is no way to enforce the debt. PRA are not known for their compassion though.

Or tell them that their response to your CCA request is illegible and the debt is therefore unenforceable. They may still want to test this in court. But you would effectively be calling their bluff

• Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    To be honest log onto your PRA account and set up a payment plan on what you can afford stops the next stage.
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Op says they are unable to make payments
  • Grumpy_Old_Git_2024
    Options
    I can make token payments. I was able to pay as had job till beginning of covid then laid off. Sons nursery basically kicked them out due to needs so had to become full time carer.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Any copy agreement must be a legible copy, its been tested in court and proven as a defence.

I would write telling them your circumstances, that the debt is unaffordable, inform them of the discrepancies in the copy agreement they sent you, ask them to make a commercial decision and write the debt off.

You have a lot in your favour here, even if it went to court and they somehow won, the court would not set payments you cannot afford, if you can`t afford anything, the court would set no payment.

Try to call their bluff first, you have nothing to lose to be fair.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I like that approach. It combines the two options I suggested.

I don't like token offers except as a short-term strategy or if there is genuinely no other option. You've already struggled with this for 16 years which is far too long.
  • Grumpy_Old_Git_2024
    Options
    Hi sourcrates and fatbelly

Thanks, I have sent them an email and will follow up with recorded delivery letter.

hopefully PRA will see sense

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure