We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NHS Dental Charges

Can anyone explain how nhs dental charges work?I went for initial exam which cost £26.80.I was told I would need an extraction which will cost a further £73.50 and then will require dentures making -a further £319.10.Is this correct because I thought there would ony be one charge to pay ie the highest one?

Comments

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
     In my dentist i have to pay the lower charge before my first appointment.
     At the next appointment i need to pay the second charge minus what I've already paid. Again at the third appointment i pay the third charge minus everything I've already paid. In total paying a band 3 fee which is what it says here 
    https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

     If you are concerned your dentist is charging you more ring them to clarify.?

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Dentist should be charging you £319.10 but may make you pay it in bits.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 10,683 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I had treatment earlier this year before the prices went up & that is how I paid total about £305 then so £319 makes sense.  I too paid in bits with each appointment, so 4 appts with the basic paid first then one appt at £81 then 2 appts at £100 each.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.