Interest on remortgage help needed please

Options
Hi, I’ve just swapped my old deal to a remortgage deal until July 2026. I understand the payment will be around £370 a month. I’m trying to figure out how much interest per month I’d be paying if anyone can help me. I’m at £22,400, 5.05% and have 5 years 10 months left. If I can find out the interest then I can work out overpayment amounts. I THINK it’s around £95 a month based on 22,400 x 5.05%x30 days /365. Am I around the right number? Thanks 
Mortgage Balance April 24- £22,400.5 years 3 months left

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to enter your figures into a repayment calculator.

The amount of interest decreases each month as a payment comprises of both capital and interest on a normal mortgage.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    moomi said:
    Hi, I’ve just swapped my old deal to a remortgage deal until July 2026. I understand the payment will be around £370 a month. I’m trying to figure out how much interest per month I’d be paying if anyone can help me. I’m at £22,400, 5.05% and have 5 years 10 months left. If I can find out the interest then I can work out overpayment amounts. I THINK it’s around £95 a month based on 22,400 x 5.05%x30 days /365. Am I around the right number? Thanks 
    Yes - so £370 less your monthly interest estimate (22.4k * 5.05% /12) will be the amount of capital you pay down against the outstanding balance each month.  As Ayr_Rage states the interest vs capital will adjust each month but for the first year or so differences aren't going to be that significant.
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Try here to develop your own checker: http://www.locostfireblade.co.uk/spreadsheet/Index.html

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The interest is £94 give or take, so the bulk of your monthly contribution is repaying capital.

To settle in 5 years pay £423, 4 years £516,  3 years £672

You will save about £600 for each year ahead of the current target.

I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • moomi
    moomi Posts: 338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    amnblog said:
    The interest is £94 give or take, so the bulk of your monthly contribution is repaying capital.

Could you possibly provide me with approximate figures of how much I’d need to pay it off by July 31st 2026? Thanks so much 
    Mortgage Balance April 24- £22,400.5 years 3 months left
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,990 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    moomi said:
    amnblog said:

Could you possibly provide me with approximate figures of how much I’d need to pay it off by July 31st 2026? Thanks so much 
    Roughly speaking a little over £900.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback