Money saving in perimenopause and menopause

Options
MSE_Jenny_H
MSE_Jenny_H Posts: 2 MSE Staff
edited 3 April at 3:33PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Are you in perimenopause or menopause and have a money saving tip or trick to share? 

Maybe you have a favourite beauty product, item of clothing or way to keep symptoms under control. Or is there a hack you've mastered to keep the symptoms at bay like a certain way of exercising? 

I'm Jenny at MSE and writing a guide on money saving in menopause, and would love to include your tips - hopefully I'll learn from your experience, too!

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was warned against buying a memory foam mattress by the middle aged woman assistant in the bed shop as they can make you hot, which isn't what you need when you are menopausal.  As I left the shop she was explaining why to her young male colleague who was puzzled how she knew to warn me that!
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brambling said:
    I was warned against buying a memory foam mattress by the middle aged woman assistant in the bed shop as they can make you hot, which isn't what you need when you are menopausal.  As I left the shop she was explaining why to her young male colleague who was puzzled how she knew to warn me that!
    Haha! Subscribing to this thread for other hints and tips, hopefully won't be peri for five years or so, but it's looming!
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    While it’s good that nowadays there is more openness about menopause, there’s also a lot of marketing hype targeted at menopausal women about products and treatments that just aren’t necessary and probably don’t work. Be prepared to rethink your skin care routine a little, experiment with trial sizes. You may need to adapt your wardrobe too if you carry weight differently. Maybe buy a couple of lighter layers you can take on and off if your temperature fluctuates.
  • ShinyStarlight1
    ShinyStarlight1 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found flowing clothes in cotton, linen or viscose good. Anything polyester or wool was a sweat fest nightmare.

A light summer duvet helped at night. As did fans, handheld or room-sized.

Red wine or coffee was such a trigger for sweat outbreaks that even saying the words would cause it!
  • kittydfw2012
    kittydfw2012 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not necessarily recommending this but my night sweats are worse a couple of nights before my period is due (I take HRT). I found out by accident that if I take a paracetamol before bed, I don’t wake up hot and have a much better night’s sleep. It was sleep issues that finally took me down the HRT route. All symptoms have improved since I started slimming world and eating healthier. It’s hard to do but perimenopause has brought raised blood pressure and cholesterol so I had to tackle my diet even though it’s hard to do when so many other things going on. I’d advise anyone from 40 ish to tackle weight and health before perimenopause really kicks in. It will save a lot of hassle and money in the long run. 
  • Need2save
    Need2save Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m not there yet…but because I spend a huge amount on around the clock painkillers every month and four packs of sanitary pads monthly, at the cost of near £15 for my ten day monthly supply, ran out of clothes and underwear, so more washing needed, plus the 3/4 days off work. Also not forgetting the unlimited amount of hot water bottles and unable to cook for a few days….Well I say I’ll be saving by not having a period after all. 
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wyndham said:

More widely, I wish more money had been spent on research in order to understand it better than we do. For something that affects half the population, the knowledge level is still quite disappointingly low. It's improving, partly because women are now actually valued as full members of society and also because we are making a noise about it! For years we were told to keep quiet and just get on with it without a fuss! I felt this was reflected in my own dealings with the NHS about my symptoms, where I really didn't have a good experience, unfortunately...
    Slightly OT but this is how things are in general regarding women's health. Or has been in my experience. 
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 April at 8:03AM
    Options
    Wyndham said:

More widely, I wish more money had been spent on research in order to understand it better than we do. For something that affects half the population, the knowledge level is still quite disappointingly low. It's improving, partly because women are now actually valued as full members of society and also because we are making a noise about it! For years we were told to keep quiet and just get on with it without a fuss! I felt this was reflected in my own dealings with the NHS about my symptoms, where I really didn't have a good experience, unfortunately...
    Slightly OT but this is how things are in general regarding women's health. Or has been in my experience. 
    It is off topic, but I do agree. In the past I was a lot more accepting of it, these days I'm too angry and hot to put up with it in the same way. And I'm not alone in that. I am seeing it as a change overall, in terms of 'this is where my next phase of life starts, and it's going to be different, because I know I'm different'.

I'm probably more likely to stand up for my rights though. Which can take us back to money saving, as I feel I'm more savvy and much less likely to put up with poor service or bad products. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback