Online comps- do you need to sign up?

Options
Hi there. I’ve been entering competitions online for a while now, generally via competitions-time. Most of them request a sign up to the company’s newsletter and I wondered if this is indeed required to be in with a chance of winning as I’d read somewhere (which I now can’t find) that it was against to law to stipulate such a condition. 

Grateful for any thoughts? 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 April at 8:18AM
    Options
    tracemcd said:
    Hi there. I’ve been entering competitions online for a while now, generally via competitions-time. Most of them request a sign up to the company’s newsletter and I wondered if this is indeed required to be in with a chance of winning as I’d read somewhere (which I now can’t find) that it was against to law to stipulate such a condition. 

Grateful for any thoughts? 
     Yes on some competitions it is a requirement to sign up to their newsletter. The post usually has NL at the end. Or you can find out by reading the terms and conditions 

They are not allowed to sign you up if you don't click the box but can if you give them permission 
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most competitions that require you to sign up to the newsletter have the stipulation that you can unsubscribe at any time, so I generally will sign up then cancel as soon as the first email comes through. However, the odd competition will require you to still be subscribed until (at least) the competition is drawn. Need to read the rules for specifics.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback