Pembrokeshire couple win £80k by entering 50 competitions a day

Can't post the link but it's on the BBC news site

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,041 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonder how much junk mail they get.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • CloWithTheFlow23
    CloWithTheFlow23 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    How-to comping segment on R4's 'You & Yours' with Di Coke....
  • Kazzymints
    Kazzymints Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curious as to why the story is posted under "Here we go again!" - would love to be enlightened?  Oh and do you mean junk email or junk letterbox mail and I will try and answer your question?
  • JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just curious as to why the story is posted under "Here we go again!" - would love to be enlightened?  Oh and do you mean junk email or junk letterbox mail and I will try and answer your question?
    Usually when something like a story of somebody winning hits a newspaper there is a surge in people entering competitions.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Articles in the media tend to give the impression that entering the odd competition will guarantee fantastic prizes falling through their mail box on a daily basis and encourages a flood of new part-time compers. Since this is not the case, a lot of folk become very disappointed and frustrated, while at the same time reducing the chances that we dedicated compers might win at least something (good luck to them, though!). Of course entering competitions that require purchase and/or a skill/effort to enter will have a better chance of winning than free online comps, but on the other hand the rate of return does depend to a greater or lesser degree on luck. MSE members enter on this site since they want to have the chance of nice wins at no expense, and that takes dedication and a fair bit of work to put in the hours. 
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,405 Forumite
    Options
    JamboDP said:
    Usually when something like a story of somebody winning hits a newspaper there is a surge in people entering competitions.
    .... and then quickly asking when they can expect their first win/complaining that they haven't had a win yet.  
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WINNING STREAK 

I’m one of Britain’s luckiest women – I quit my job after bagging £35k worth of prizes because I know I’ll win again

ANOTHER ONE LOL ^ 

• Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,405 Forumite
    edited 8 April at 2:06PM
    Options
    WINNING STREAK 

I’m one of Britain’s luckiest women – I quit my job after bagging £35k worth of prizes because I know I’ll win again

ANOTHER ONE LOL ^ 

Yep, I noticed this one in the Daily Star.

EDIT: Seems she's been in most of the papers:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/27090730/full-time-competition-winner/
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family