Self managed Debt Management Plan

Options
Darthmark
Darthmark Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post
edited 29 March at 2:41PM in Debt-free wannabe
The story so far.
So I found out that a Self managed Debt Management Plan was an option in dealing with my outstanding debts so I advised the debt management company I used that I would be cancelling their services in writing. I did so and their response was quite rude to be fair and I never really expected the level of insincerity in the phone conversation when I said i was adamant that i would be managing my own plan. I have of course put in a complaint and have gone to the "debt-free wannabe" section of this forum and followed the advice of the cabmoney org uk site mentioned therein. It was a bit confusing about whether the service there was just for East Derbyshire as I live in Dorset I but followed the links etc anyway and started the process of managing my own DMP. So far, I have realised that in nearly 3 years of having the company I chose deal with my plan, they charged £45 every month amounting to nearly £2500.00 which could have gone towards my debt. It is no wonder they were upset when I told them I was going to be managing it myself. I have sent off letters of intent to my creditors after finding out the office addresses myself as the DMP company wouldn't tell me, they said it was info only for the DMP company and the creditors benefit so the DMP companies do put obstacles in the way of you leaving. STICK WITH IT AS I HAVE DONE. I have cancelled my direct debit to the DMP company and await letters from my 6 creditors. Its a bit daunting but according to the DMP company I was still going to be paying my debt well into my late 80's. I am 53. I have roughly worked out that I will be paying twice as much to each creditor and will finish paying my debts in half the time.

Please note there are free DMP companies. I never realised this when I took out mine so think carefully and get all the info you can get when you wish to proceed with your own debt.

I await letters from my creditors 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I will check that link and update it, as its not been done in a long while.

Yes, debt management companies profit from your misfortune, they do absolutely nothing to justify their extortionate monthly fees, self management is just so simple, once you stop paying your debts, your creditors will write to you.

Better if they are all collection companies, as you can pay directly via their own websites, much less hassle than paying a bank.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Not all are the same Stepchange is free to use as are others
  • Darthmark
    Darthmark Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    gwynlas said:
    I will update my post. Yes you are correct that not all are the fee grabbers....
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Darthmark said:
    gwynlas said:
    I will update my post. Yes you are correct that not all are the fee grabbers....
    Stepchange are much better as they don't charge a fee, however they do still work in the creditors best interests rather than yours. It's much better doing it yourself, then you can run it with your own interests as s priority and have a credit report that is cleaner that sooner as well as it costing a lot less overall.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback