Loan against future Pension payout

Options
cazzie1312
cazzie1312 Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I’m after some advice on the best way to take out a short term loan (6 months) to help see me through until I get my private pension lump sum and monthly pension. I own my home with no mortgage but currently have no income of my own. We can just about get by on my wife’s salary but would really help to have some extra cash available as have many small projects to do around the house. What would be best way to borrow £6k-£10k? Or is there no easy/overly expensive way.

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 March at 11:58AM
    Options
    0% credit card for purchases? That would work for everyday spends, but you would need to  ensure you pay the minimum monthly payments required to keep the 0%

Although with no income you might struggle - could your wife apply and have you as an additional card holder? She would be liable for your spends though 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I was surprised when we were planning a new kitchen thru a national DIY shop that I could apply for an account to front the full cost of the refit.  Refit itself was a bit more than our (seriously low) household income but we were granted credit of twice that. 0% for 4 years with monthly payments to clear the total over that period.  So if this was an option you could make fairly low monthly payments and then pay more once you had more cash coming in, if you wanted.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I’m after some advice on the best way to take out a short term loan (6 months) to help see me through until I get my private pension lump sum and monthly pension. I own my home with no mortgage but currently have no income of my own. We can just about get by on my wife’s salary but would really help to have some extra cash available as have many small projects to do around the house. What would be best way to borrow £6k-£10k? Or is there no easy/overly expensive way.
    I would assume that a loan against future pension is simply not available.
    There are strict rules covering the age at which access to a pension is possible.  If loan products became available against future pension income or lump sum, that would wholly negate the rules about access age.
  • stuhse
    stuhse Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is getting a job an option ?
  • cazzie1312
    Options
    I should add that I will be 60 in 6 months so age is not an issue. Neither is any change to my pension pot which is payable at 60.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    If you are already over 55 (obviously if you are 60 in 6 months), are you able to draw from the pension now, or is this an employment-linked pension with protected benefits based around drawing from age 60?
  • cazzie1312
    Options
    Yeah can’t access at all until I’m 60. Just got my figures through now and made me wonder if I could get a small loan
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Does it have to be you who takes the loan?
    The fact is, at the moment, you have no income.  No income is not attractive to lenders.
    Could your wife obtain a loan?
    It probably makes no difference whether you or your wife obtain the loan given you really sound like a stable couple with fully shared finances.  
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No one is going to give you a loan against a potential future pension payout. Consider the worst option: you get the loan and drop dead the next day?
    Can you not get a loan against your wife's income (which you haven't stated)?
    As suggested above, a 0% CC is probably your best option if her credit history is clean.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sparks_2023
    sparks_2023 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March at 4:04PM
    Options
    You can't get a loan against your future pension. This would be deemed to be accessing the pension early with terrible and dire punitive tax consequences. Forget tax-free, they'd tax you at 90% ! That's why lenders won't go near this sort of deal. A £10K loan against a pension fund would cost you £9K in tax! That's if you could even get the loan - which is less than doubtful.
    No lender will loan against future pension lump sums or income.
    Leap Day 2024 - the day of freedom. The day my pernicious debts finally died.

Legacy Default dates :
    Mr Lender - 31/10/2022
    Fund Ourselves - 22/12/2022
    Bamboo - 30/3/2023
    Likely Loans - 14/4/2023
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business