Help with debt collectors

Options
Hello

Hoping you can give me some advice regarding some debt collectors that are chasing me for unpaid council tax.

I have outstanding council tax due and finally after a long battle with the council involved, got the bill reduced due to my children being in further and higher education and not required to pay thus meaning that I was entitled to a 25% discount on the bill.

In the meantime, the council passed the debt on to Bristow and Suitor. I had them come out to my address whilst I was still disputing the bill and as a consequence the bill was increased by approximately £300.

I have now tried three times to set up a payment agreement with them and each time, they have said that they are not prepared to accept the amount. I have sat and done all my sums and there is absolutely no way that I can pay any more than I am offering. They are insisting on more than double the amount I can afford and I have no hope in hell of being able to get close to that figure.

Having read some older threads on this board, it appears that the amount of £300 additional fee is more than they are allowed to charge. Is this still the case, and is the acceptable fee still £42.50 or has it increased?

In addition, is it still an option for me to write to the head of the council asking for them to take back the debt and agree a payment plan with them instead of with these debt collectors?

Any advice that you can give me would be really gratefully received as I am losing sleep about this and have no idea what I can do to get this sorted out.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, get in touch with the council and they will call the dogs off, Bristow and Suitor are a bailiff company and will be working under a liability order obtained by the council.

Its hopeless trying to deal with the bailiffs, they always want the full amount and won`t agree acceptable terms just to be awkward, the council should accept their mistake and take the debt back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Tripletmummy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Sourcrates. It is much appreciated!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback