SIPP Cash Buffer Handling

Options
13»

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I retired last April and started taking my works DB. Come next month I intend to crystallise my SIPP and start taking a monthly top up from that. 

Have you checked your SP forecast?

Have you booked a Pension Wise appointment to discuss ways of accessing your DC pension?

You are still under age 56 - is your plan to use the SIPP as a buffer until SP cuts in?

• Doglegger
    Doglegger Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xylophone said:
    I retired last April and started taking my works DB. Come next month I intend to crystallise my SIPP and start taking a monthly top up from that. 

Have you checked your SP forecast?

Have you booked a Pension Wise appointment to discuss ways of accessing your DC pension?

You are still under age 56 - is your plan to use the SIPP as a buffer until SP cuts in?

Yes, have a full forecasted SP and have had the Pension Wise appointment. The SIPP will be used as a top-up to DB to take me to the 41% tax threshold (Scotland). When I reach SP in 12 years time then the SIPP will be left barring any emergencies.
  • Scrudgy
    Scrudgy Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    42% now Doglegger

Bands

Band name

Rate (%) 

£12,571*- £14,876

Starter Rate

£14,877 - £26,561

Scottish Basic Rate

£26,562 - £43,662

Intermediate Rate

£43,663 - £75,000

Higher Rate

£75,001 - £125,140**

Advanced Rate

Above £125,140**

Top Rate

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm glad I don't live in Scotland!
  • Doglegger
    Doglegger Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Scrudgy said:
    42% now Doglegger

Bands

Band name

Rate (%) 

£12,571*- £14,876

Starter Rate

£14,877 - £26,561

Scottish Basic Rate

£26,562 - £43,662

Intermediate Rate

£43,663 - £75,000

Higher Rate

£75,001 - £125,140**

Advanced Rate

Above £125,140**

Top Rate

Yeah, I realised that as soon as I'd posted. :'(
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nearest thing in my SIPP to a cash buffer is about 18 months' worth of withdrawals held in a money market fund.  I include this as part of the initially 50% of total funds held in bonds.  I've also got about a year's worth in savings accounts - these are mostly for unexpected expense or unusually expensive holidays. At the beginning of each year I take the year's 'salary' out by selling bond funds and put it in savings accounts from which I take a monthly amount (this on top of a reasonable DB income and state pension later this year).
    The 50% held in equities will stay invested until it increases >20% at which point I will transfer 20% into the bond funds.
    Some might recognise this as Prime Harvesting which I took from McClung's book. It's a strategy that I could understand and work with relatively easily, and I decided any strategy is better than totally winging it. I did wonder whether the post-QE world of the bond market might invalidate some of the recommendations - but that got too difficult for me to assess; the DB and state pension make this less of a risk than it might have been.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Steve_PL_too
    Steve_PL_too Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Linton said:

In real life you have to deal with the ups and downs of the market in some way, ideally with minimal cost, effort and disturbance to day to day life.  The question is how.

Quite right. And how we individually deal with it will depend on our individual circumstances.  I am 66 (just), and have a cash buffer for the next 6 to 8 years (inflation depending);  the extent to which I maintain/change that will depend on how my life develops over the years.  That emotional comfort blanket, to me, is very important.  Everybody else’s circumstances will differ.  (For what it’s worth - probably not a lot - other than the cash, I’m mostly in world tracker funds : the cash buffer is my counterbalance).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback