PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Instructed Solicitor, but after reading the T&C's and prices, I want to change

Options
Hi

Sorry for the newbie question:

I had my offer on my first house accepted and the estate agents recommended a solicitor. Without really thinking, I instructed them but as I started the process of completing the initial paperwork, I looked through their T&C's and realised the estate agents get a kick back for the referral (fair enough). Upon looking at quotes from other providers, it kind of looks like I foot the bill for the referral. Most other quotes seem to be £350-400 cheaper.

I haven't signed any documents or paid anything to them yet, but is it too late for me to swap without incurring fees?

I felt rushed and overwhelmed and didn't feel like I got a chance to search for the best deal.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nope - as long as you have not returned the Terms of Retainer letter signed off, you can simply say that you have had quotes elsewhere and on this occasion you will be going with a different firm. 

It should be said that these days, any referral fee paid by a solicitor to an estate agent should absolutely not be added to any costs that are paid by the client. That's been a no-no for a while now, too. Their take on this will no doubt be that they just have higher fees because X, Y & Z - however, I can certainly understand your suspicion! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 12:42PM
    Options
    unless of course the solicitors have actually undertaken any work at your instruction eg you asked them to apply for searches which they did.
    but that seems unlikely.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JXB9000 said:
    I looked through their T&C's and realised the estate agents get a kick back for the referral (fair enough). Upon looking at quotes from other providers, it kind of looks like I foot the bill for the referral. Most other quotes seem to be £350-400 cheaper.
    Hardly a shocker or uncommon practice.  Don't think the estate agent was doing you a favor - their only interest is the commission.  The rule of thumb is always to select your own solicitor.   
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JXB9000 said:
    Hi

I had my offer on my first house accepted and the estate agents recommended a solicitor. Without really thinking, I instructed them but as I started the process of completing the initial paperwork, I looked through their T&C's and realised the estate agents get a kick back for the referral (fair enough). Upon looking at quotes from other providers, it kind of looks like I foot the bill for the referral. Most other quotes seem to be £350-400 cheaper.

I haven't signed any documents or paid anything to them yet, but is it too late for me to swap without incurring fees?

I felt rushed and overwhelmed and didn't feel like I got a chance to search for the best deal.

Thanks for any help.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was told conveyancing tended to be a fixed cost so prices don't vary. I felt rushed into doing an electronic signature so the property could be taken off the market but afterwards realised I had been naive. There was a paragraph in the document about cancelling so I followed the instructions, copying in the estate agents (who weren't happy, quizzed me on my reasons and told me it would take much longer). It all felt a bit unpleasant but my chosen solicitors are much cheaper and seem to be doing everything they are supposed to and I haven't had any further contact with the estate agents.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Jami74 said:
    JXB9000 said:
    Hi

Thanks for any help.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was told conveyancing tended to be a fixed cost so prices don't vary. I felt rushed into doing an electronic signature so the property could be taken off the market but afterwards realised I had been naive. There was a paragraph in the document about cancelling so I followed the instructions, copying in the estate agents (who weren't happy, quizzed me on my reasons and told me it would take much longer). It all felt a bit unpleasant but my chosen solicitors are much cheaper and seem to be doing everything they are supposed to and I haven't had any further contact with the estate agents.
    If the estate agent was doing there job they would be keeping in touch with all parties seller buyer and both solicitors In my case if it had not been for the estate agent I think the deal would have fallen through 
  • FlyMeSomewhere79
    FlyMeSomewhere79 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The primary thing to do is check a solicitor is local and has good customer reviews, we got stung for £100 referral fee recently on our completion but they were a brilliant solicitors! Don't put price over quality of service and accountability, my buyers did that and went for a conveyancers over 100 miles away and they did cause issues! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback