PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Microwave oven - opinions and recommendations?

Options
2»

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Me again :) 

Any experience with either this model or this company? Not a flatbed, but oven functions using separate trays like a 'normal' oven. 

https://donaghybros.co.uk/sharp-r959slm-900w-40l-touch-control-freestanding-combi-microwave-oven.html
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Mum161111
    Mum161111 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 30 March at 8:17PM
    Options
    I hope it is all right to ask here on your post,  ArbitraryRandom.   

My Sharp flatbed microwave is soldiering on but I suspect it will have to be replaced before too long.  I like the flatbed and would really like a more compact (smaller size) flatbed microwave to replace the present one when it does give up.  

So far all the smaller models seem to be lower watts and, if there is a compact sized one, ideally 900 w minimum, I would be very interested.  I have tried "Google" but, so far, have not seen what I am hoping for.  I had to take my, now older one, down off the wall mounting on to the worktop because I was struggling with the height - my  age is showing now.  I have limited space on my worktop and find the microwave takes up more space than i'd like.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, just for a basic microwave, compact size, flatbed and 900 w if at all possible. I don't need a grill.  Thank you very much.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    No idea about your budget, but at work they have these: https://www.caterkwik.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_CM1089

Which aren't the cheapest, but have been in use since a few years pre-pandemic/were used by several hundred people monday to Friday (obviously not used so much in the last couple of years with more people flexi working). It's described as 'light use' but I think it's light use for a commercial product rather than domestic? 

This model is the reason I'd quite like a flatbed microwave and if I can't find a combi that I fancy then this is the one I'll go for. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a Panasonic combi and it used to drive me mad because after using it as an oven the cooling fan used to run for ages and it was very noisy. Might not be a problem with other makes. I currently have  a Salter  " duowave" combi with " air fryer" capabilities and its pretty good. 
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we’ve had expensive ones,cheap and in - between too. We use ours a lot,and we’ve done one or two! Frankly,I’d buy the cheapest available now,and use it until it gives in. They are not made to last now,like most things sadly. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That is quite an investment for a microwave! I asked a similar question recently on this thread and was very happy with my choice: https://mda.russellhobbs.com/rhm2574.html .

Whereabouts in the country are you @ArbitraryRandom ?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Not too far from Chester :) 

I'd prefer a larger capacity (especially with a turn table as I'd struggle to get some of my larger plates/dishes in a 25L I think), but I appreciate the recommendation. 

I see a few people on that thread recommending the Sharp model I found above, only issue is the only places I can find it stocked are small/independents and I'm a little leery buying something at this price point from an unknown... though if I pay on my card I'd have S75 protection I guess...  
  • SootySweep1
    SootySweep1 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I think I've got the Sharp you've highlighted above. I've had it a few years now & I'm happy with it.

I had originally intended to get a Panasonic but when I looked at them they were too small.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    edited 1 April at 7:45PM
    Options
    Okay, after more reading around, I went for the Sharp 959. 

It doesn't tick all of my boxes, but it ticks most of them and the reviews were generally positive (lots on amazon for this model and most of the complaints were to do with damage on delivery or noise rather than performance etc. and I've got thick walls so can't hear the dishwasher so unlikely to be bothered by a microwave fan) 

I did place the order using my credit card (and promptly transferred the money to pay it off) so if there is a problem in the next 6 years I've got a bit of protection there :) 

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and advice - much appreciated. 
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Okay, after more reading around, I went for the Sharp 959. 

It doesn't tick all of my boxes, but it ticks most of them and the reviews were generally positive (lots on amazon for this model and most of the complaints were to do with damage on delivery or noise rather than performance etc. and I've got thick walls so can't hear the dishwasher so unlikely to be bothered by a microwave fan) 

I did place the order using my credit card (and promptly transferred the money to pay it off) so if there is a problem in the next 6 years I've got a bit of protection there :) 

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and advice - much appreciated. 
    Do let us know how it turns out, please.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback