Transfer fire service 2015 pension to a SIPP?

Options
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if I can transfer my current fire service pension (2015 scheme) to a SIPP?

I have asked the pension fund and they have replied in jargon 'the pension cannot be transferred to a scheme which it may be possible to acquire a right or entitlement to flexible benefits, such as a money purchase benefit, a cash balance benefit, or a money purchase benefit calculated by reference to an amount available for the provision to or in respect of the member.'

Was just looking for a yes or no..? 😊

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    harveydog said:
    Hi,

Can anybody tell me if I can transfer my current fire service pension (2015 scheme) to a SIPP?

I have asked the pension fund and they have replied in jargon 'the pension cannot be transferred to a scheme which it may be possible to acquire a right or entitlement to flexible benefits, such as a money purchase benefit, a cash balance benefit, or a money purchase benefit calculated by reference to an amount available for the provision to or in respect of the member.'

That is a no.

But why would you want to do it in the first place 🤔
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a no, assuming that you have met the vesting period of 2 years.

Your Fire Service pension, being a non-funded public sector scheme, can only be transferred to another DB scheme.  Realistically, that means another public sector pension.

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    From a bit of research: You cannot transfrer the Fire Service 2015 pension scheme to a SIPP, only to another defined benefit scheme.    It appears to have the same restrictions as Civil Service and NHS pensions which are essentially funded by the Government rather than by the direct contributions of the scheme members and their employers.  So there is no pot of gold to be transferred.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You asked us if you could transfer to a SIPP.   They have described a SIPP.

Out of interest, why would you even want to? i.e. what is driving the request?

Its not a yes or no answer.
    Yes you can with the right type of pension but no you cant with the wrong type.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March at 9:20PM
    Options
    Linton said:
    From a bit of research: You cannot transfrer the Fire Service 2015 pension scheme to a SIPP, only to another defined benefit scheme.    It appears to have the same restrictions as Civil Service and NHS pensions which are essentially funded by the Government rather than by the direct contributions of the scheme members and their employers.  So there is no pot of gold to be transferred.
    It's not the nature of the employer, it's the 'pay as you' nature of how future pensions are paid (in general taxation at the time, not from an investment fund built up beforehand). Ergo local government and MPs' pensions don't have the same restriction.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback