Uniform tax

Options
Hi. I have just managed to claim for my uniform expenses and i did it for the last 4 years. They have said how much Ive overpaid for each year which surely means its what they owe me.
Theres a £10.80  £21.55   £32.20 and £12.80   yet my letter and cheque just says that they owe me £12.80 and thats it.  I dont understand where the other amounts have gone because surely thats owed to me too.

Thanks for any help xxxx

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Either dealing with each year separately or using the other overpayments to increase your personal limit for next year?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi. I have just managed to claim for my uniform expenses and i did it for the last 4 years. They have said how much Ive overpaid for each year which surely means its what they owe me.
    Theres a £10.80  £21.55   £32.20 and £12.80   yet my letter and cheque just says that they owe me £12.80 and thats it.  I dont understand where the other amounts have gone because surely thats owed to me too.

Thanks for any help xxxx
    What year does the letter/repayment refer to,

Previous years aew probably being dealt with separatey as repayment supplement will be  calculated for each year.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are there any workings shown as the first three figures look like they are the allowance being carried forward for each year ie aprox £10.80 each year. Was there any underpayment of tax for the fourth year in the workings. 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks for any help xxxx
    So it looks like you owed some tax for the last year and that has been paid off from the first 3 years overpayments.

Each figure should be cumulative i.e. the £21.54 includes the £10.80 from the first tax year.
  • magicdafydd
    Options
    the letter refers to 2022 to 2023 i think, i definitely didnt owe any tax as last year i had a different code due to an over lap in leaving 1 job and starting a new one so was taxed more. all the amounts are from 2019 onwards and havnt owed any tax for those as pretty good at keeping an eye on stuff.
    this years code has changed but ony by £10
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    the letter refers to 2022 to 2023 i think, i definitely didnt owe any tax as last year i had a different code due to an over lap in leaving 1 job and starting a new one so was taxed more. all the amounts are from 2019 onwards and havnt owed any tax for those as pretty good at keeping an eye on stuff.
    this years code has changed but ony by £10
    It could be you owed tax but HMRC hadn't asked you to pay it (after HMRC reviewed things after the end of the tax year).

That isn't unusual for smallish amounts.

But now you have asked them from a refund they have factored that in and paid you the balance.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the letter refers to 2022 to 2023 i think, i definitely didnt owe any tax as last year i had a different code due to an over lap in leaving 1 job and starting a new one so was taxed more. 
    HMRC estimates to correct this sort of thing have been known to be a bit out, can you advise the figures for that year.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What does your personal tax account  show for each year?
  • magicdafydd
    Options
    sheramber said:
    im not too sure how to check or what to check sorry xx
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 March at 1:26PM
    Options
    sheramber said:
    im not too sure how to check or what to check sorry xx
    Do you have access to your on line tax account ?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback