LTA - is this just sad or what...?

Options
So with the current buoyant markets, I'm within a hairs breadth of breaching the LTA. Wouldn't it be cool to do that on exactly the day that it's abolished for good?

Yes, as I said, possibly sad... and obviously academic given that going over doesn't matter until you withdraw the excess. But sort of interesting to me anyway.

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What LTA? It was got rid of last year
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Well sort of, it's not formally abolished until the end of next week...
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it is sad I am afraid, though I do remember the determinedly trying to calculate it 99.8%, took the pension and got a load of back pay and it went to 101%   :D
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still (effectively) impacts on tax free cash though.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Cus
    Cus Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    artyboy said:
    So with the current buoyant markets, I'm within a hairs breadth of breaching the LTA. Wouldn't it be cool to do that on exactly the day that it's abolished for good?

Yes, as I said, possibly sad... and obviously academic given that going over doesn't matter until you withdraw the excess. But sort of interesting to me anyway.
    Sad I'm afraid. If you had actually hit the exact number on the exact date then possibly slightly interesting to a select few on here.  Preempting that possible moment is not (for me)
  • artyboy
    Options
    Cus said:
    artyboy said:

Sad I'm afraid. If you had actually hit the exact number on the exact date then possibly slightly interesting to a select few on here.  Preempting that possible moment is not (for me)
    I'll keep you posted next week. As you clearly want to know, in a passive aggressive sort of way  :p
  • Cus
    Cus Posts: 561 Forumite
    Options
    artyboy said:
    Cus said:
    artyboy said:

I'll keep you posted next week. As you clearly want to know, in a passive aggressive sort of way  :p
    Ha, if you are over or under, you'll be back I'm sure
  • artyboy
    Options
    Cus said:
    artyboy said:
    Cus said:
    artyboy said:

Ha, if you are over or under, you'll be back I'm sure
    Well for what it's worth, I got to within about £500 of the old LTA last week (intraday) before the markets dipped - but I crossed the line as of yesterday's close.

It was all just a bit of fun anyway - I was only counting the immediate mark-to-market value of my DC pots, because if I'd included the notional 20x value of an old DB, as well as a fairly chunky dividend that will be paid on the 21st, then I'd have been well over on aggregate anyway...

There is of course a semblance of a serious point within all this, in that if this value is maintained, future pension contribution decisions will need to consider that my TFLS potential is already maxed out. If I never work again, I doubt I'll be doing the £2880 trick that is so popular here...
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I tripped over the LTA figure last November, since when it has continued to rocket. Now within a hair's breadth of £1.2m
    I'm still heavily SSing into work pension, as even without the 25% notional tax free element it is still much better than taking as additional salary.

Interesting point on the £2880 "trick" - I hadn't considered that. I'm sure it will still work for Mrs XPS, who will be way under the LTA
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    edited 11 April at 3:00PM
    Options
    There's a number of "Dull Men's Club" groups on facebook who'd love this post :)

It won't beat the guy who tracked every parking space he used in his local Sainburys though, until he'd parked in them all. Took him 6 years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback