Failure to close a credit card during my bankruptcy

Options
Hi
I have just been notified that 6 years have passed since I was declared bankrupt and my CCJ has been removed from my file.
However, when I went to upgrade my bank account, it was refused because of my credit report. On further investigation, a credit card with the Halifax I opened before bankruptcy is showing default and I still owe money. 
My understanding was that this should have been closed by the person overseeing my bankruptcy and the debt wiped off at the time of bankruptcy, is this right? 
I was so happy to be able to move on with my life and I'm still stuck.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 March at 8:45PM
    Options
    Ah no, its up to YOU to do a credit file clean up, usually after discharge, not after 6 years.

All accounts should have shown a default date no later than the date of your bankruptcy, you usually check this after you are discharged, but its not too late, what default date does it show for this credit card?

If its close to the 6 year mark I`d just let time deal with it, if its years out, them make a complaint to have it backdated.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • surfwaves80
    surfwaves80 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your quick reply! 
    Its really strange, on clearscore, it says I was missing payments up until september 2018, then there is no data after that, but I declared bankruptcy in the march of that year. What I meant before was i thought the bankruptcy officer was supposed to notify the bank I was bankrupt on my behalf and it should have defaulted then, back in march. 
    It also says the data was updated in 2020.
    I have cross referenced with transunion and that looks like Halifax still think I owe them money!! 
    Its very confusing.
     Would I go to the Halifax to rectify this or to someone like equifax? 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 March at 10:47AM
    Options
    The bankruptcy process has been streamlined in recent years, partly to make it easier all round, and partly to reduce workload on the OR`s office.

Your £680 fee doesn't buy much of their time especially in the midst of a cost of living crisis, and Covid, your creditors would have been told, but these messages don`t always trickle down to the front line, and they are not always acted upon.

You need to contact the Halifax, make a complaint, they must deal with it, the CRA just report what they are told by the creditor.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • surfwaves80
    surfwaves80 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I managed to speak to someone helpful at the Halifax and they are seemingly sorting this out to reflect what actually happened.
    Thanks again for your help, fingers crossed its onwards and upwards from here! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback