Lowell Phone Calls & Text Messages

Options
Hi all,

First post on MSE forum and have searched for Lowell issues and may have similar issues to other poster but not quite the same!

I currently have umpteen missed calls from 0333 556 5564 (assumed to be Lowell) including a handful of text messages from Lowell citing:

"We've been trying to contact (name removed) about a personal matter. Please call us on 03335565570 quoting reference (reference number remove)"

"Hi (name removed), it's Lowell, please call us on 03335565570 or register at www.lowell.co.uk using reference (reference number removed)"

To date, I have not received any postal / email correspondence from Lowell nor have I ever had any dealings with them nor I currently have any outstanding payments to anyone (that I am aware of!).

Would I be safe to assume that this may be similar to other poster where this could be a "fishing" exercise trying to bait someone and would I be safe to assume that this is safe to ignore and do not respond to them unless of course I receive a letter / email?

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Block their number and ignore phone calls texts and E Mails.

If you do get a letter through snail mail come back for advice.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As above, they send texts and emails etc because they are free, if they want to get serious they will write to you, until then, carry on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • phonicbrewer
    Options
    Well they are persistent alright; still no letter(s) from them but now receiving "Hi Mr XXXX, it's Lowell.  It's important you contact us.  Call us on 03335565570 quoting ref. XXXX, or visit www.lowell.co.uk."

Extracted from Good Omens [credits Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman]:
    "Hastur spends half an hour trapped on the ansaphone with only Aziraphale message for company. At that point a telephone salesperson, Lisa Morrow, phones Crowley, and inadvertently releases Hastur (262).

Hastur climbs out of the earpiece of the phone, looking “a little like a maggot. A huge, angry maggot made out of thousands and thousands of tiny little maggots, all writhing and screaming, millions of little maggot mouths opening and shutting in fury, and every one of them was screaming ‘Crowley'” (262).

Hastur devours the salesperson and her nine colleagues. Bolstered by the information he has gained from Aziraphale’s message, he leaves with a full stomach to meet with the Dark Council.

As a result of his destruction of the telephone salespersons, “a wave of low-grade goodness started to spread exponentially through the population, and millions of people who ultimately would have suffered minor bruises of the soul did not in fact do so” (263), proving that evil contains the seeds of its own destruction."

...to be Hausur from Good Omens for 30mins; maybe, just maybe this is the reason to why no one leaves a message on the ansaphone!

• PatrickBlue
    Options
    Do not under any circumstances sign up to their site 

To sign up or join their site they will require your personal details to do so 

They tried to get me to join their site and to provide them with more personal details when there is no legal need to do so (that I am aware of) 

Obviously I point blank refused to join / register on their site or to provide more personal details

Block their number like others have said, keep everything in written form if you do need to contact them and let them put it all in writing also, never converse with them on the phone

Phone calls they can say you agreed to this or that in written form they cannot twist things to their advantage   
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well they are persistent alright; still no letter(s) from them but now receiving "Hi Mr XXXX, it's Lowell.  It's important you contact us.  Call us on 03335565570 quoting ref. XXXX, or visit www.lowell.co.uk."
    Love Pratchett but how come you haven't block their numbers?

One option is a prove it letter referring only to the reference number, to which you add

"By the way, you are required to remove my phone number (and email) from your system (GDPR).

Print your name.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • phonicbrewer
    Options
    RAS said:

Love Pratchett but how come you haven't block their numbers?

One option is a prove it letter referring only to the reference number, to which you add

"By the way, you are required to remove my phone number (and email) from your system (GDPR).

Print your name.
    Many thanks RAS, I have blocked their number, since then there has been a barrage of text messages.  

Thought about sending a "prove-it" letter, however the ball is in their court, if I owe monies (which I believe I don't!), then like the other poster have mentioned, ignore them until you receive a letter in the post, in which I will continue to do so!

Do not under any circumstances sign up to their site 

To sign up or join their site they will require your personal details to do so 

They tried to get me to join their site and to provide them with more personal details when there is no legal need to do so (that I am aware of) 

Obviously I point blank refused to join / register on their site or to provide more personal details

Block their number like others have said, keep everything in written form if you do need to contact them and let them put it all in writing also, never converse with them on the phone

Phone calls they can say you agreed to this or that in written form they cannot twist things to their advantage   
    Many thanks Patrick for that piece of advise, I was curious to do so to see what the fuss was about, now I won't bother!
  • stewartwilliams
    stewartwilliams Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April at 2:16PM
    Options
    I've been getting emails to my backup email address (and the odd text) every week or so about overdue accounts.  Things that were statute barred ages ago and haven't been on my credit files for years.
    The last couple of weeks or so, they've been ringing my mobile (3x this week).  Not sure how they got my number as I've never given it to them, and use a fake landline number for the account I'm paying back each month (pay this as a quick payment that requires a reference number, DOB and post code).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback