Childcare assistance if one parent earns >£100k

Options
Hi guys, just want to check I'm reading the guidelines correctly, would be very grateful if someone could confirm (doing a bit of financial planning, we have our first baby coming next month and are looking for childcare from Jan 2025 when the baby will be ~9 months)

If one parent is earning <£100k but the other earns >£100k, is it correct that the only assistance available is the 15 hours for 3-4 year olds? The soon-to-be-introduced assistance for younger children from 9 months old only applies if both parents earn <£100k? And the Tax Free Childcare saving scheme also does not apply? We are in England, if that makes a difference

More than happy to pay for the nursery in full of course, but just wanted to check we're not missing out on anything that we might somehow be eligible for

Comments

• Saint84
    Saint84 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My understand is that if either parent earns more than £100k, then all childcare is lost. Is therefor a cliff edge. But remember, the £100k is based on adjusted net earnings. So you can contribute to your private pension for example to bring it below £100k. I guess it depend on how much either parent has exceeded £100k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback