SJP advice needed asap please

Options
Hi everyone. Me and my hubby are in a bit of a fix. We are 60 and 64 respectively and we work together in our own small company. Neither of us are savvy in the field of pensions etc, so we needed advice on the most tax efficient way to utilise company funds and draw up pension plans for both of us. Our accountant put us in touch with a local financial advisor at a partner practice of SJP who he himself uses. We have had several meetings over the past few weeks and he has drawn up investment plans which to us all look fine and his proposals & future planning seem like good ideas, so he has put the wheels in motion and contacted providers of some small pensions we have to bring them all under one umbrella etc. End of last week we signed papers with him and we left the meeting with lots of documents to read through, and forms to complete to make the first money transfers before end of this tax year next week. Having looked through all the docs, we were surprised by the high fees and the calculations when shown in projection charts and have asked for clarification from him, and we are having a meeting with him on Thursday. I then found lots of posts on here about SJP (I'm pretty new to here) predominantly advising people to use IFAs (don't know any) or DIY (not ideal for us). I'm now starting to really panic that we have put our trust in the wrong person/place and tied ourselves into it because we've signed papers, are against the clock with the end of the tax year, and we cannot do anything now cus it's literally all just been set up for us. We really don't know what to do now, and have the meeting on Thursday. Any advice or even reassurances would be tremendously appreciated

Comments

• bjorn_toby_wilde
    bjorn_toby_wilde Posts: 104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There should be a cooling off period written in. If you only signed last week then you may well be able to stop the process.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/savings/investing/key-facts-documents-and-cooling-off-periods-what-you-need-to-know
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SJP are not independent (ie salespeople) and they do have high charges.
    Having said that, they are not scammers, and while their own funds areaverage at best, they won't run off with your money.
    They are having to reduce their fees, and (I'm not sure on this one) possibly revise the long tie-in because of their exit fees, which used to run for 6 years after any deposit.
    You can certainly do better with an IFA. I think you can use https://adviserbook.co.uk/, but you have to tick a box when searching to ensure the results are "confirmed independent"
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You didn't the SJP sales rep until your accountant put their interests ahead of yours.  (you may wish to ask if the accountant is getting any kickback from the SJP rep for referring them to you.   Any accountant has your interests at heart would not recommend SJP. They would either say to use an IFA or your choosing or have links to an IFA of their own).

To be fair accountants are  not always best informed about personal finance issues ( as seen many times on this forum), so they could have innocently recommended an SJP person that they had a good experience with/fell for the sales patter themselves.

Or as you say there could be something else going on....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback