Options available to me on strike days

Options
I have train tickets booked to travel with GWR from Worcester to London Paddington on Saturday 6th April returning on Sunday 7th. At the time of writing there is to be a strike on GWR trains on the Saturday (but I assume some sort of service on the Sunday for the return).

Am I able to use my Outwards ticket on other services (I'm thinking Cross Country to Birmingham and then Avanti to Euston) or is kind of ticket flexibility between operators only available when there are specific issues such as a major line blockage. 

My other option is to simply drive to Birmingham International and get a new return ticket on Avanti (but this is considerably more expensive). Hopefully I will get a refund from GWR in due course. 

Comments

• spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are these Advance tickets only valid on specific trains or normal anytime/off peak. For the latter you are probably OK, Advance your tickets are probably not valid on other operators, but you would be able to travel GWR the day before.

You could also go Cross Country to Reading then Elizabeth line which should be running to Paddington. 
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are these Advance tickets only valid on specific trains or normal anytime/off peak. For the latter you are probably OK, Advance your tickets are probably not valid on other operators, but you would be able to travel GWR the day before.

You could also go Cross Country to Reading then Elizabeth line which should be running to Paddington. 
    They are Advance tickets so that could be a problem. Thanks for the idea about Cross Country to Reading, I'll look into that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback