Walked away and earnings withheld

Options
Hi all, I am not sure where this post would fit in the forums, but trying here.in the hope someone can provide guidance. 

Many years ago, possibly 10, I was contracted via an agency to carry out work on behalf of a high street financial institution. At the time, I had a limited company and my contract was as a limited company. 

The contract was horrendous, with people let go on a weekly basis due to the accreditation process being pretty much unattainable.

We had, if memory serves me correctly, a two month timeframe to get fully signed off, and during my time there perhaps two out of thirty contractors successfully passed the sign off process.

As mentioned, people were let go every week, most were phoned around 10pm and told not to return rhe next day. It really was farcical and unpleasant.

The long and short of it was that I could not stand working that way and decided to leave without notice.

The agency who recruited me withheld circa £3,000 earnings from me, despite, I would imagine getting paid from the financial institution.

I no longer contract and no longer have my Limited Company and am just wondering if this money can be reclaimed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Joe

Comments

• NCC1701-A
    NCC1701-A Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There's a six year time limit on making a county court claim for debts. I can't see you have any chance of chasing a 10 year old debt, which would have to be in your limited company's name.
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When running a limited company, you have lots of legal duties and responsibilities.
    Good record keeping is essential, not only to comply with the law but to assist you, should a problem arise in the future.
    If you can't remember the exact dates of this episode, or have a meticulous paper trail as evidence, how on earth do you expect to make a claim against anyone?
    This is all hypothetical of course, the limited company is closed and as mentioned above, six years has passed....
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like they'd fall foul of IR35 and bunch of other employment regulations....

Are they still doing it?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    JB32 said:
    Hi all, I am not sure where this post would fit in the forums, but trying here.in the hope someone can provide guidance. 

Many years ago, possibly 10, I was contracted via an agency to carry out work on behalf of a high street financial institution. At the time, I had a limited company and my contract was as a limited company. 

The contract was horrendous, with people let go on a weekly basis due to the accreditation process being pretty much unattainable.

We had, if memory serves me correctly, a two month timeframe to get fully signed off, and during my time there perhaps two out of thirty contractors successfully passed the sign off process.

As mentioned, people were let go every week, most were phoned around 10pm and told not to return rhe next day. It really was farcical and unpleasant.

The long and short of it was that I could not stand working that way and decided to leave without notice.

The agency who recruited me withheld circa £3,000 earnings from me, despite, I would imagine getting paid from the financial institution.

I no longer contract and no longer have my Limited Company and am just wondering if this money can be reclaimed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Joe
    Unlikely the agency (if it still exists) has any records. Quite apart from being out of time for a claim, your limited company was the contracting entity - so if it no longer exists, there's nobody (and a company is a 'persona at law') to launch a claim.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback