Future Mortgage Rates

Options
Given that current 2 and 5 years fixed rates are around 4-4.5% with 25% equity, where do you see these fixed rates going if the base rate drops to say 4.25% by the end of the year - Will they remain where they are, or could they drop to around 3-3.5% under the same LTV?

I know we can't predict the market though, it is expected that base rate reductions are coming, thus, just trying to figure out potential costs etc. 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally I'm not expecting a change in the mortgage rates even though small drops in the base rate are predicted.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,105 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the negative differential between BOE base rate and mortgage interest rates progressively narrow. Ultimately borrowing rates will sit above BOE base rate. Over what time frame I've no idea. A decade of abnormal monetary policy isn't going to be unwound at the flick of a switch. 
  • fergie_
    fergie_ Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its all about swap rates (with some provisos), so banks cut when swaps went down. This was on the expectation that rates would be cut to closer to 4% this year. That then became unlikely, so swaps and lending rates all went back up. Once BoE rates start to drop we will see swaps ease back again, but its going to take a long time for BoE to reach 4% or lower (unless there is another extreme event) so anything in the 3-4% range is likely to be a great mortgage rate for the next few years.
  • Arsenal2019
    Arsenal2019 Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From what I’ve read in recent weeks, I don’t personally see a change for a couple of months 
  • zante_bride
    Options
    I am wondering the same! I can’t put off choosing my next fixed rate any longer as it will double if I don’t fix. I am stuck between choosing a 1 year fix or 2. From what I have read they think there may be movement around June. I worry if I choose a year I could be coming off it around the time of an impending election that may cause more uncertainty and increases. What would you do at the moment a 1 year fix or 2 at 4.69%? 
  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Almost certainly in my view we'll be following the Fed. So BoE will cut just before or after the Fed do (if indeed they do cut this year). And they have more than half an eye on the presidential election, also in my view. 
  • Maka344
    Maka344 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Question is whether to track or fix now. 
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Fix now, can`t see FED or BOE dropping rates this year.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,105 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 1:17PM
    Options
    Not that Central Bank action correlates directly to mortgage lending rates. US fixed mortgage interest rates are nearer 7% currently. An indication possibly of what's to come. As the cheap money era continues to unwind. 
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Not that Central Bank action correlates directly to mortgage lending rates. US fixed mortgage interest rates are nearer 7% currently. An indication possibly of what's to come. As the cheap money era continues to unwind. 
    That`s right, the "10 Year Yield" is the one to watch, BOE isn`t really controlling mortgage rates.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback