Classic Civil Service Pension - start date has passed, when can I expect them to pay it?

Options
I worked for the civil service many years ago and have a "classic" Civil Service Pension which should've started last week.  After badgering them, I finally received the quotation confirming the lump sum and pension amounts and the start date a few weeks ago, and immediately completed and returned the forms providing bank account details etc.  I've heard nothing since.

Anyway, the pension start date has passed and nothing has been paid into my account yet.  I'll phone the Civil Service Pension Scheme tomorrow to discuss things, but wondered if anyone else has been in this situation.  In particular I'm concerned about the lump sum payment (a five-figure sum); I want to get this invested asap so it's frustrating to lose out on interest because of their delays.  If the CSPS fail to pay me this promptly then are they required to add interest to the amount? 

Comments

• kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In hindsight you should maybe have got on to them about 3-6 months ago, and filled the forms out then. I expect it will all get sorted but as you've not given them much notice expect things to be delayed slightly. It will all be backdated. When I was working in Civil Service up to retirement they asked for at least 6 months notice of expected retirement date.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 24 March at 5:45PM
    Options
    Jonx999 said:
    In particular I'm concerned about the lump sum payment (a five-figure sum); I want to get this invested asap so it's frustrating to lose out on interest because of their delays.  If the CSPS fail to pay me this promptly then are they required to add interest to the amount? 
    No, no requirement for interest, just back-dating to the date it should have commenced. The only feature where interest is paid is on WPS refund (if you do not have a partner).
  • Jonx999
    Jonx999 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kassy64 said:
    In hindsight you should maybe have got on to them about 3-6 months ago, and filled the forms out then.
    Actually they contacted me last year to confirm the pension start date, and said I should hear from their pension admin team by 26 January.  Perhaps my mistake was to trust them; it was only after that date had passed with zero contact that I started chasing them.

Unfortunately the old "classic" pension isn't supported by the CSP online portal; everything has to be done using old-fashioned paper forms and it isn't possible to monitor pension progress online.  Oh well.
  • kassy64
    kassy64 Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 March at 1:28PM
    Options
    Unfortunately they still require a 'wet' signature on all the paperwork (and that includes the new Alpha pension, or they did last year) regarding your instructions on bank details, other pensions re. LTA,  how you want lump sum payment split etc etc. etc
    The Portal does support the Classic pension, but not any that are deferred as sounds as though yours was.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback