New build estate - Neighbour's successful appeal, what next for everyone else?

Options
I live on an estate completed in 2022 (so relative property sizing is an easy task as there are only a handful of house types)

My neighbour successfully appealed the council tax banding recently (he has a larger house)

Is the local council obligated to review all other houses of same or smaller size with the same band?

Or do the 23 houses with that same or smaller size have to go through a VOA appeal?

I'm guessing the council might be reliant upon inertia but that's unlikely as the saving is roughly £50pm

If an appeal is require then it would seem crazy to add 23 appeals to the VOA workload when there's a guaranteed success outcome

Comments

• jtoxford
    jtoxford Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    additional clarification...

mine and the other 23 houses are in the same band as my neighbour's
    The 23 houses are either the exact same size or smaller
    There are no additional features that could suggest an increase in the valuation
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     Likely they want an appeal for each property. When a house is moved bands upwards they jump and review all the neighbours but cant see that with it being lowered, less income for them. 
     Ask your neighbour for all the information they used to use yourself. 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The council have nothing to do with CT banding or appeals.

It is usual practice for the VOA to review the bands of the same property type or similar which are in the same band as that of the appeal property before it was reduced. So your band should be automatically reduced
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback