Prescriptions halved from 56 to 28 - is this right?

Options
I had a "medication review" recently both of my prescription amounts have now changed from the usual 56 tablets to 28.

Can they do this? It's going to double the cost!

I've already been conned out of 2x£9.65 due to this (they halved the amounts due to the pending review, and it looks like they haven't been reinstated to the default post-review, so that's the last 4 prescriptions where I've received only 28 instead of 56).

Just wondering what the guidelines here are? Surely the practice can't arbitrarily impose a 100% price hike?

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 March at 6:34AM
    Options
    techno12 said:
    I had a "medication review" recently both of my prescription amounts have now changed from the usual 56 tablets to 28.

Can they do this? It's going to double the cost!

I've already been conned out of 2x£9.65 due to this (they halved the amounts due to the pending review, and it looks like they haven't been reinstated to the default post-review, so that's the last 4 prescriptions where I've received only 28 instead of 56).

Just wondering what the guidelines here are? Surely the practice can't arbitrarily impose a 100% price hike?
     I've not been given more than 28 days for about 10yrs. 
     They don't like people stockpiling pills in case you no longer need it and they are then paying for something not needed. 
     They also will not prescribe more than 28 days for certain controlled drugs and to those with mental health conditions. 

Get a prepayment certificate it will save you money. 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    usual prescribing advice is 4 weeks / one months supply. You can ask whether they will increase it to 2 months worth but certainly many practices I have worked in considered it good practice to only do one month as it reduced wastage. 

If you have more than one thing a month or even an extra one here and there it is definitely worth getting a prepayment cert
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    “Conned” is a strong word. Practice prescribing policy and government mandated prescription charges are two different things.

Have you asked them whether it can go back to the 56 and if not, why not?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get my prescriptions every three months, my husband every 2 months. Mine is lotions, potions and inhalers. His is all pills. 
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Options
    NHS recommend 28 days and most PCGs work on this. It sounds like your surgery/PCG have now decided to abide by the recommendation.
    My only prescription greater than 28/30 days is the one that the hospital deal with. I get 3 months of that as it is home delivered. 
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    As everyone says get a prepayment certificate then the numbers won't matter. 
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 March at 10:44AM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I guess  I'll have to take out the prepayment certificate now.

Prior to this review I was just under the threshold where it becomes worthwhile.

One of my medications is still on 56 I think (will find out next time it's due), which makes it even odder.

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    Options
    Just saying - if you time your prepayment you can get 14 x 4 weeks within the year instead of just 13.  Bearing in mind that there are 365 or 366 days per year not 364.  Timing is everything.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Speak to your GP... certainly ours is very inconsistent. Have medical exemption from fees so not a financial consideration but just had many problems with the surgery messing things up etc that the idea of monthly prescriptions is a pain. 

Mine have always been 3 months worth, all for stable chronic conditions, the Mrs' seems to be a random number generator and can be anything from 1-3 months and different lengths on different meds. After speaking to one of the former partners (they were bought out a few years ago) they've since put all hers to 3 months too (also medical exemption)

The guidelines are for 1 month at a time but some GPs are more pragmatic for long term/stable chronic conditions.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March at 6:10PM
    Options
    elsien said:
    Have you asked them whether it can go back to the 56 and if not, why not?
    This would be the first port of call I'd have thought. 

If for instance it was cut prior to the review because the review needed doing but the medication was more urgent, the person doing the review may not have known to put it back up.  Or maybe it is a change of policy, in which case a discussion needs to be had about whether an exception is appropriate in this case.

[To be fair I was a bit narked when they changed mine from 3months' to 2, and I'd be really annoyed if they further cut it to one month's supply - not for cost considerations as I'm exempt, but the extra hassle of having to remember to order and then get them collected.  But I have been on the exact same medication and dosage for at least 6yrs now, so certainly very stable.]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback