Ask for Ellen campaign

Options
Kirkmain
Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 24 March at 7:24AM in Food shopping & groceries
So the Warburtons ask for Ellen free crumpits campaign is back. Has anyone had any bad experiences with this? Like gone on multiple days and been told they are out of stock? Or they have it in stock and you sense judgement from the canteen staff, feeling pressured subliminally to buy something?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March at 4:14PM
    Options
    I don’t know what it is, but if it’s freebies for people who are struggling then I’d rather leave it for them anyway.
    if you can afford a long haul flight, you can probably afford a few crumpets. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The website says it doesn't start until Monday the 25th. 

https://www.warburtons.co.uk/our-campaigns/ask-for-ellen/ 
  • MacPingu1986
    MacPingu1986 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP - it's a campaign focused on helping struggling families keep their kids fed and entertained during the Easter holidays. ie - to help people whose budgets are *so* tight that a basic treat for their kids often can't be afforded.

From some of your other posts it sounds like you have an incredibly high level of income, perhaps paying for your own crumpets and letting those in tighter financial straits get the most out of it is the best course of action here?
  • Kirkmain
    Options
    OP - it's a campaign focused on helping struggling families keep their kids fed and entertained during the Easter holidays. ie - to help people whose budgets are *so* tight that a basic treat for their kids often can't be afforded.

From some of your other posts it sounds like you have an incredibly high level of income, perhaps paying for your own crumpets and letting those in tighter financial straits get the most out of it is the best course of action here?
    I'm sure there's an official forum rule against judgement about what benefits people are entitled to.

Yes I may have assets, I may even have rental income. Cash I have long gifted to my progeny to help them with a leg up in the rat race and the cost of living crisis. Unlike us boomers, they never got the privelage of dirt cheap property.

But even people with assets can face cash flow crisis. Maxed out credit cards, lease car(s) or finance agreements that have mushroomed with interest rares. Suprise tax bills from HMRC going back 6+ years, tenants deciding they don't want to pay their rent and live in my property for free whilst I'm covering the bills and insurances (buildings and landlord). Thank god the mortgage has been paid off I chose not to remortgage.

So before passing judgement think about what others might be going through. Last week I saw a lady stocking up on reduced to clear at Waitrose carrying a Hermes handbag and pushing her trolleyful of yellow stickers to a 23plate Range Rover. Some people are asset rich but cash poor.

As for my flights I tend to pay with airlines or Amex points. Unfortunately I can't exchange those for food.
  • Kirkmain
    Options
    elsien said:
    I don’t know what it is, but if it’s freebies for people who are struggling then I’d rather leave it for them anyway.
    Can you tell me which supermarkets take airmiles as payment for groceries?
  • figgyc
    figgyc Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    elsien said:
    Can you tell me which supermarkets take airmiles as payment for groceries?

I don't think you were expecting a serious answer but if you really need to you can actually use your airmiles for groceries in the UK - you can trade Avios for Nectar points (at a not great conversion of 400 avios = 400 nectar) and spend them at Sainsbury's (500 points = £2.50, you have to spend in multiples of 500 though so can't buy your whole shop with Nectar unless it rounds to a nice number)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure