Are single use dehumidifiers a good idea

Options
For years I've used the aero360 dehumidifiers, now I see that places like Asda have these one-use-only types & I bought one to test. The instructions say it has to be thrown away as a unit - presumably that means it's money saving but not planet saving? Are there any technical reasons it's better? Thanks for any pointers!

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used them for dehumidifying small areas, such as the storage space under the car boot where the spare wheel/tools are.
    The white crystals absorb water up to the point where they start dissoving in the water.  Eventually, you end up with a pool of water in the bottom of the tub and no crystals left.  They can't be regenerated, so you throw them away.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Be better to get the ones you can recharge in the microwave than these single use things. 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 920 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it's thrown away and not capable of being recycled, then it's not sustainable and therefore a bad idea. It's easier and therefore cheaper to manufacture something that can simply be thrown away than either reused or recycled. Better to avoid such purchases if you can.
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • KO_Dub
    KO_Dub Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The one pictured in the thread, can be reusable for as long as you want if that's what you have. As stated by another poster, the crystals absorb and then disappear as the container fills, but you then empty the container of water and can refill it with new crystals, that can be purchased in a refill pouch. We use a combo of resources and have a good plug-in for current house issues... But if you're wanting mobile help I'd say the little refillable ones are decent.
  • pontybridge
    pontybridge Posts: 88 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KO_Dub said:
    The one pictured in the thread, can be reusable for as long as you want if that's what you have. As stated by another poster, the crystals absorb and then disappear as the container fills, but you then empty the container of water and can refill it with new crystals, that can be purchased in a refill pouch. We use a combo of resources and have a good plug-in for current house issues... But if you're wanting mobile help I'd say the little refillable ones are decent.
    I disagree with this. They say to dispose of responsibly. The water that ends up collecting is mixed with the crystals and is toxic and cannot be tipped away down a sink.
    2024 Wins
    Runner Up of Burns Pet Nutrition Competition with Mog the Forgetful Cat winning 4 Mog books.

2023 Wins 
    None.

2022 Wins
    None.

2021 Wins
    £5 ITV.com Winsday Draw - £100 Range Voucher via Plastikote Survey - Balsam Hill 12 Days of Christmas Competition Day 12 Winner of Fraser Fir Tree - x2 Totter and Tumble Playmats.

2020 Wins
    £800 Magic FM Daily Pay Day - £50 ITV.com Winsday Draw - x2 £5 ITV.com Winsday Draw - 70p Topcashback Autumn Comp.

2019 Wins
    £50 Amazon Voucher with Subway. 
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Less cheap but more ethical/eco friendly refillable small dehumidifiers with crystal pouches are made by ecozone, use them myself and they're good for small areas + the pouches stay working for several months before needing replacing, but like sammyjammy says a full-sized electric dehumidifier is much better for a serious damp problem.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport