Green credentials re flying

Options
A number of councils are now adopting a policy to avoid billboard advertising for carbon fuelled cars, air flights and other activities which increase global warming. MSE recently encouraged people to sign up quickly for cheap flights. Is this a good idea, or should MSE be promoting alternative forms of travel which are less harmful to the environment?  I’d be interested in other people’s thoughts on this.

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE is focussed on saving money.  Ethics are up to the individual
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are travelling to France for a week.  #Carbon footprint wise we should take our EV, about 10g per km (possibly less as most French electricity is form nuclear).  However it would take about three times as long as flying and cost two to three times as much so I have to admit we are taking the MSE option
    I think....
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe promotion and advertising of luxuries that have an impact on the environment should come with a health warning in the same way as for smoking. The trouble is that a significant percentage of the population don't seem to care, don't believe it or think that any change they make will be pointless.
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • michaels
    Options
    So I am wondering if we planted a tree in our garden that would be a reasonable offset.  The flights seem to be somewhere between 100 and 170g of co2 per km (higher number is if you treat high altitude co2 as being more potent than ground level). So 4 pax x 1000km return = 800-1400kg

Does anyone know how much co2 a tree will absorb per year and over its lifetime?

The other option is just purchasing carbon offsets but does anyone know if these are genuine or just a scam?
    I think....
  • michaels
    Options
    So what do people who worry about their co2 footprint do about flying?  Just don't do it or are offsets a reasonable approach rather than curtailing their lifestyle to that extent?

Take my fly vs drive example.  I could drive to save a decent amount of CO2 but there is a big time and financial penalty and it seems likely that for a lot less than the extra cost of driving I could purchase a much bigger 'carbon offset' or even spend the money directly on lower carbon choices - perhaps going towards the cost of a heat pump, improving my house energy efficiency, choosing lower food miles/co2 but more expensive food options, planting trees n my garden etc etc.

Problem is it is complicated to know what our household current CO2 footprint is and what choices would reduce that.

Is it reasonable to think I could make 'carbon reparations' for flying or in reality should I be doing all those other things anyway and if I choose to fly I am choosing to add CO2 (that the planet can not afford)?
    I think....
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The fact your thinking about it means you probably take care with other things in way of co 2 and  one or 2  flights every few years will make little difference 
  • Magnitio
    Magnitio Posts: 919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    About 8 years ago I decided that, if possible, I wouldn't fly again. As much as I would enjoy visiting wonderful places around the world, it does seem to me to be a selfish activity. Some people would call me a killjoy for that view, but the impact of tourism from flying, cruises etc is quite significant. Having said that, I can understand your dilemma of driving Vs flying. As for carbon offsets, it's a challenging subject. Here's an example of the views from one organisation.. https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate/does-carbon-offsetting-work
    6.4kWp (16 * 400Wp REC Alpha) facing ESE + 5kW Huawei inverter + 10kWh Huawei battery. Buckinghamshire.
  • michaels
    edited 26 March at 8:02PM
    Options
    Magnitio said:
    About 8 years ago I decided that, if possible, I wouldn't fly again. As much as I would enjoy visiting wonderful places around the world, it does seem to me to be a selfish activity. Some people would call me a killjoy for that view, but the impact of tourism from flying, cruises etc is quite significant. Having said that, I can understand your dilemma of driving Vs flying. As for carbon offsets, it's a challenging subject. Here's an example of the views from one organisation.. https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate/does-carbon-offsetting-work
    It seems very tricky, the obvious answer is the one you have chosen and the friends of the earth line - you can't just spend money to 'fix' deciding to fly :(

Another thought - I will probably get a heat pump fairly soon so can't really claim that this would offset any flying but what if I bought my neighbours (who probably wouldn't get one otherwise) a heat pump?!
    I think....
  • michaels
    Options
    paul991 said:
    The fact your thinking about it means you probably take care with other things in way of co 2 and  one or 2  flights every few years will make little difference 
    Love that to be the case but I don't think I can look at it that way, basically any optional co2 I cause is a choice that I could choose not too. Everyone should save as much as they can, not just think that they have done 'their bit'
    I think....
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't flown a fixed wing scheduled flight since a 2015 internal flight which was a third of the rail cost. I can cope with some extra cost but not to that extent.

No holiday at all since 2020 due to covid and family reasons but they've all involved driving to Italy which has allowed flexibility and load carrying particularly on the return (I hestitate to say what!). Next trip it will be in an electric car which may take marginally longer but will be a lot more comfortable let alone cleaner. Having someone to share the driving makes a big difference, especially when we trust each other enough to go to sleep as the passenger. I've done it on my own and nearly gone to sleep as the driver!

Ferries, particularly if you avoid Dover, are a lot better than flying and the holiday starts on the boat. Although I've no issue with the actual flying the airport experience can be a bit draining and long winded. Some of the ferry companies are cleaning up their act with LPG fuelled vessels and electric powered ones are on the way, starting with shorter routes.

I've been flown to the Isle of Wight about 4 times in the last few years but helicopters don't count, do they? /blush/ At least I drove to the airport in an electric car powered partly by my own panels..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback