Overdraft limit and getting mortgage

Options
I currently have a £5000 overdraft on my longest standing account. I never use this and don’t need it but I’ve not removed it due to the fact that I read that it can show badly on my credit file like the bank has removed it. 

I just want to ask if it really is seen like this? Also I am planning to apply for a mortgage in the near future so don’t want that to affect how much I can borrow.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No impact at all. Lenders will only be interested in what you are actually utilising at the time of application. 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd remove it. Lenders can also see the overdraft negatively. It's a line of credit that's available to be used.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd remove it. Lenders can also see the overdraft negatively. It's a line of credit that's available to be used.
    A lender cannot stop someone getting a line of credit the day after though. That's why it's historic money management that's important. Says a lot about the applicant. 
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    i have x2 250 od with halifax, never used they didnt care
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • JustMe18
    JustMe18 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, they don;t really care, I have Lloyd bank and because  I don't use it, can't even see it on the bank statement
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback