Optician Moneysaving - Online Lens replacement.

Options
CashStrapped
CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 March at 9:49PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Just thought I'd give my experience of using this service.

Having only started to wear glasses in the recent past, I decided to use an established local independent optician for my first purchase. After that experience, I did come away feeling a bit fleeced. I ended up paying far more than I expected/intended for a pair of frames and lenses.

Fast forward a few years and I realised I needed a new prescription but I was determined not to be caught in the trap of spending an excessive amount. I went to a different local optician who provided me with a new prescription and immediately prompted me to look at new frames and lenses.

I told them I was happy with my frames and just wanted the lenses replacing. This was received dubiously along with a confused look and warnings that the frames would probably break (this is apparently a common tactic to put people off).

They eventually relented and quoted me £85 for lens replacement (most likely without any coatings).

I was determined to keep my original frames, they were still in very good condition and comfortable (7 years old by this point).

This is when I decided to try an online lens replacement option. Glasses Direct used to do this service, but stopped, which was a shame. Another company was one called lensology. The reviews seemed mostly good. A few warnings about any online company with complicated prescriptions made me think again as I do have astigmatism. There were some suggestions this company had a lot of suspicious reviews, but...I decided as the cost/risk was so low, I'd at least give it a go.

With the lens options I selected (single vision, standard index, anti-glare and anti-scratch) the total cost including postage came to around £27.50. I received a free post box and sent it back with my specs in. I wrapped them in my own bubble wrap just to be safe..

I also had to send them a photo of me wearing my glasses, like a passport photo, so they could determine pupillary distance. This was the only part that made me a but unsure as my optician (as many do) refused to give me the PD measurement.

I chose the slower service (which was cheaper) and after about a week or so, my frames were returned with nice new lenses in. My vision is seems perfect, the prescription seems to be spot on.
Other than a slight delay in response to some queries, I can't really fault it based on the value. I did have to re-confirm the lens options I wanted as they seem to default to a standard (more expensive) option after sending the specs in (but this seemed to be a standard part of the process, nothing nefarious).

So, if anyone is looking to keep their frames, if they have a pair of good quality ones, or one they want to keep, my experience of this company was a pleasant surprise and good value for money. 

Comments

• welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cant say I had any problem keeping my frames and having the lenses changed. In fact that was the first thing they offered me. I even go to specsavers! Good on you standing your ground though. Its up to you to make a decision once all the information is provided to you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback