Personal loans as a student

Options
2»

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem you have is any lender is unlikely to count your student loan/bursary as income especially as it's not goung to be received fir the lifetime of the loan.

Not sure the part-time/student thing will make much difference but in my opinion you are a full time student with £10k income. The alternative is a part-time employee with £10k income. 
  • Sleepy_student
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    The problem you have is any lender is unlikely to count your student loan/bursary as income especially as it's not goung to be received fir the lifetime of the loan.

Not sure the part-time/student thing will make much difference but in my opinion you are a full time student with £10k income. The alternative is a part-time employee with £10k income. 
    Thank you, I just wanted to make sure that there is no rule about selecting student over any other status.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,017 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to think of a different approach. How about a GoFundMe campaign? If you look on their website, you will see that people ask for funds for all sorts of stuff including medical bills.  Or arrange an event and charge and donate the funds to pay for the treatment.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sparks_2023
    sparks_2023 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    BoGoF said:

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure that there is no rule about selecting student over any other status.
    The rule is that you are honest in your application and don't obtain money by fraud.

I suppose a drop down list with 2 options that apply but only 1 can be selected is a bit marginal, but not ticking a specific box that declares you are a student would seem to be dishonest.
    Leap Day 2024 - the day of freedom. The day my pernicious debts finally died.

Legacy Default dates :
    Mr Lender - 31/10/2022
    Fund Ourselves - 22/12/2022
    Bamboo - 30/3/2023
    Likely Loans - 14/4/2023
  • sparks_2023
    sparks_2023 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I assume the dental treatment is basically upper and lower jaw all-on-4 implants. This is multiple appointments with 3 payments generally - payment 1 after upper jaw extractions and a temporary upper jaw implant, payment 2 after the same for the lower jaw, and payment 3 - after a few months - after the temporary implants are replaced by the permanent ones.

If finance is stretched can there be a gap between the upper and lower jaw work ? Is one jaw much more urgent than the other ?

12k now and a further 12k in 2 years ?

Leap Day 2024 - the day of freedom. The day my pernicious debts finally died.

Legacy Default dates :
    Mr Lender - 31/10/2022
    Fund Ourselves - 22/12/2022
    Bamboo - 30/3/2023
    Likely Loans - 14/4/2023
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 March at 7:18PM
    Options
    I take it you've shopped around and £25-30k is the best you can find.

I wonder if it's worth looking at Europe to see if you can get cheaper treatment. I've admittedly heard more horror stories about Turkey dental work than success stories, but I don't know if there are other destinations that'd be somewhere between Turkey and Scotland in terms of price and quality. Of course getting it done in Turkey may still be better than not getting it done at all.

Have you approached the dental schools? I know they provide cheaper treatment if they can use you for supervised training, but I don't know if they'd cover implants.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback