Help Needed: Dealing with Debt Settlements and Uncooperative Creditors

Options
124»

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In theory they could get a CCJ for any amount but once they know you are out of the country if they have any sense they will decide they are throwing good money after bad by persuring it.

They have to contact you by snail mail to tell you they are considering a CCJ so as long as they have your current address and you do read any letters you get from them you should be OK.

This is why they need to know your current address or they will be sending mail to your last UK address and if they do decide to go for a CCJ you wouldn't know about it  if you redirection had run out and they would get a CCJ by default.

If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • nublue1
    nublue1 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nublue1 said:
    I agree with Sourcrates about telling your  creditors your current address.

I hope you have stopped your payments to Payplan

A lot of your debts are too small for the creditors to apply for bankruptcy especially when they know you are living abroad.

Save what you can and wait and see what letters you receive once they know your address.

Ignore any threatening E Mails, they mean nothing and keep coming back if you have any problems and worries
    Thanks so much.  Just to check, you said too small for bankruptcy - did you mean to say CCJ.  Hadn’t even considered forced bankruptcy as a possibility…
    It isn`t, I think they meant CCJ.

Forced bankruptcy costs a creditor on average £1800 or more, and no sane person will initiate such a response to someone who`s assets are unknown, and does not even reside in this country.

There`s more chance of me winning the lotto, Euro millions and setforlife, all in the same week, whilst been wined and dined by Taylor Swift at the Hollywood bowl.
    Haha ok, that does seem quite unlikely - but a great week if it did!
  • nublue1
    nublue1 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In theory they could get a CCJ for any amount but once they know you are out of the country if they have any sense they will decide they are throwing good money after bad by persuring it.

They have to contact you by snail mail to tell you they are considering a CCJ so as long as they have your current address and you do read any letters you get from them you should be OK.

This is why they need to know your current address or they will be sending mail to your last UK address and if they do decide to go for a CCJ you wouldn't know about it  if you redirection had run out and they would get a CCJ by default.

Thanks, I'm just sat here now putting together the letters to send.  I use a UK mailbox company for my mail so I'm going to tell them my address and also give them a UK correspondence address because redirection doesn't exist here and we may well move again in the next year or so. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback