Careers fair Query

Options
Hi all, 

Tomorrow I am attending a careers fair in my city to increase my chance of gaining new employment. 

I was just confused on what to wear tbh (im female btw) because I have a few friends that have attended these events, and they’ve went very causal. I also looked pictures up of a typical jobs fair, and everyone seemed to be dressed casual or smart casual. 

I was thinking of just going in a plaid shirt and jeans as I want to be comfortable tbh. Also, on the jobs fair website it did say you DO NOT have to dress smart and can dress casual. 

Do you think a smart plaid shirt and jeans would be appropriate for such an event? If not I was just going to wear a plain jumper and jeans. 

Also another query, do you think it is a good idea to take a number of print outs of my CV with me to hand out to people at each stand?

Comments

• itsthelittlethings
    Options
    It depends what kinds of jobs you are going for. Dress in something clean, tidy and comfortable but if you’re looking at better paid jobs where you would have to wear a suit I would wear a suit if you have one. Taking print outs of your CV is an excellent idea.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've got something other than jeans (cords or chinos, perhaps), that would look smarter but still fit the 'smart casual' bit.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thin the best thing to wear is whatever you would expect to wear for a typical day at work in the type of job you would be going for.

Do take your CV to share as appropriate.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smart casual and professional.

A good percentage of exhibitors at a careers fair most likely won't care, BUT why alienate the ones that do (Unless you would be happy to not work for an employer who judges on appearance).

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One thing worth thinking about, could you dress to be memorable, but in a good way?

Then if you chat to someone on a stand, and give them your CV, they might remember the plaid shirt / green hair / funky shoes. If, later, they're involved in recruitment, it may help you.

The last time I was recruiting for my replacement, I noticed that all 3 candidates wore black jackets. Never wore a black jacket to an interview again ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure