Pay down mortgage or invest in an ISA?

Options
Hello Everyone,
I have fixed mortgage with an offset facility fixed at 1.84% until feb 2025. The mortgage is £200,000 and the money in the offset is circa £100,000, currently im reducing the term by using the offset savings.
My question is, should i invest the offset savings in to a stocks and shares Isa instead (with the S&P 500 paying about 29% today, although apprecaite its high the average over its existance is circa 10%) rather than stick with the helpful, but low interest of the offset?
I don't need the savings urgently, but want to save/make the most money
Thanks

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    By using your 100k as offset savings, you're effectively earning 1.84% interest on it.  This is a very poor rate of return as some cash ISAs/savings accounts are offering over 5%.
    Would you be happy paying 5% interest on your 200k mortgage at the end of your fixed rate, or would you want to partially-repay the mortgage - perhaps to get a better LTV and lower interest rate?  Any money to be used for a partial repayment should be kept in a cash account.
    I tend to target a 10% average rate of return on my investment portfolio so as long as my cashflow can comfortably accommodate the increased mortgage repayment, I would put savings into a stocks & shares ISA.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you mean the S&P 500 is "paying" 29%? You do understand it's not like a savings account, right? I remember the GFC and investments paying -45% ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback