How long have you been with your bank?

Options
MSE_Kit
MSE_Kit Posts: 86 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 March at 6:51PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 19 March 2024

While some people switch bank account every time there's free cash available, others have loyally stuck with their bank for decades. So this week we want to know how long you've been with your current bank.

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Bobbie320
    Bobbie320 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are lots of reasons for staying with one bank, not necessarily loyalty. My solicitor opened my account in 1968 after I received compensation for a road accident. It was unusual for a woman to have her own account back then. When my husband's firm eventually stopped paying weekly cash, I added his name to the account (with difficulty, the man's name is supposed to be the first name on the account!). Although we pay for the account, it covers our RAC and all our holiday insurance (until we're 80). We have several other accounts, both bank and building society, but Barclays remains our main bank. So far, I have not regretted the decision to remain with them.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never understood the notion that someone just has one bank account.

I've always had a minimum of 3 current accounts.

I had my natwest since 16. Halifax since 18 and HSBC since 18.

I am now 39.

I used the different bank accounts as modern "pots" to store money in different accounts for budgeting.

The main account changes around from time to time.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't voted in the poll because although I've had my main bank account for decades I've also got numerous secondary ones that I use for switching purposes. 
  • aintreemaid
    aintreemaid Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Neil49 said:
    I haven't voted in the poll because although I've had my main bank account for decades I've also got numerous secondary ones that I use for switching purposes. 
    Me too, Neil! I can't remember how long I've had my "main" account, but it just serves as somewhere for my pension to be paid into.  From there it's simply direct-debited to other accounts for such luxuries as food, electricity etc.

• solentsusie
    solentsusie Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neil49 said:
    Me too, Neil! I can't remember how long I've had my "main" account, but it just serves as somewhere for my pension to be paid into.  From there it's simply direct-debited to other accounts for such luxuries as food, electricity etc.

Exactly the same here!  I have a few 'spare' accounts I keep open for this exact reason.  Just used one for the Santander £185 cash back.  Still keep my 'main' bank account with Nationwide as it is just easier and I can remember the account number and sort code off by heart.
  • JadedAngel88
    JadedAngel88 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had my main account with Monzo for about 7 years. I have switched but opened a basic account elsewhere and switched that for the incentive. 

I have 3 bank accounts and have money in all 3 in case one goes pop and I'm not scrabbling around with no money. 
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although I have been with my main current account for > 20 years, I have 8 other current accounts (as of today) and have made the most of switching between them for incentives.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback