PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can we start using the oven for Sunday baking again?

Options
Hi, as its been so long since I used my gas oven because it's been so expensive and I've got no idea how much it costs - so I've decided that when the gas (and electricity) prices go down in April I'm going to start using my oven again on a Sunday. 
I'll fill it up as I always used to, with a small joint of meat and roasters, a two-serving rice pudding, a sponge (or chocolate or ginger) cake for during the week, and a loaf of bread.
 I should be able to get a small quiche done too if I can get all the prep done beforehand. 
 I'm curious to know if I have the gas oven on for 90 minutes whether it save me money as I won't be buying shop-bought that's loaded with preservatives.
I think doing it this way will work out cheaper than using the air fryer multiple times too.
Now I need to find cheap bread flour. 

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,931 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't have an air fryer or mini oven so have carried on using my range cooker.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/378
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 78
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @Barneysmom I only use one type of flour:  chapatti flour aka Atta flour.  It’s a bread flour and, if you have the storage containers, is good value for money at 30p-50p a kilo.  However, it usually only comes in 10kg sacks.

To make self-raising flour:  add a teaspoon of baking powder to each cup of flour.  (I usually use a cup measure to measure out my flour, so that makes the calculations easier.)

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you - I should've said, I've always cooked from scratch and it's been a bit of a juggle to cook meals without the oven, although the slow cooker has been a great friend now that winter's just about over I won't be using it so much. 

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, as its been so long since I used my gas oven because it's been so expensive and I've got no idea how much it costs  
    How can you know it's expensive if you've no idea how much it costs? 

I'm curious to know if I have the gas oven on for 90 minutes whether it save me money as I won't be buying shop-bought that's loaded with preservatives.
    I think doing it this way will work out cheaper than using the air fryer multiple times too.
    Never had a gas oven but google claims they use an average of 0.9kw/hr so about 9p to run 90 minutes
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I grew up in a home with a gas cooker and it was great for cakes etc. It didn't occur to me to get one when I refit my kitchen because the one and half electric ovens were still in very good order (and looked new).I have been avoiding using even the smaller one and ended up buying a combi microwave to save on using a whole oven for the sake of baking a cake.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Florafauna
    Florafauna Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the oven is filled, I'd say go for it. You could even pop some scones in at the end as well. You are cooking multiple items and the health benefits of scratch cooking are great. Plus less faff than refilling the air fryer I'd imagine 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback