Options
2»

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. 

My new employer is imposing rules upon me post a merger, which due to the possibility of access to information which could be classed as insider trading (I actually do not have any access whatsoever), means that I need to attest that I will no longer purchase any shares anywhere in the world.

They are stating however that this attestation applies to my wife and children (who are still financially dependant).  This effectively prevent my wife purchasing shares, or, my children.

Is this legal?   Surely my wife is allowed to have financial privacy and could refuse to disclose this information.  This would render me unable to attest to the rules and I am worried could lead to disciplinary action.

"If" I had access to this kind of information, it would be different, but it seems that instead of classifying people in my old company appropriately, they are applying the maximum rules to us all.  Not everyone in my new company is classified that way - but it seems to be where they've put in the in the organisation.

Thanks in advance
    Have you actually talked to your employer about this? 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • BobHants20
    BobHants20 Posts: 7 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Yes I have.  Their view so far seems to be 'if you don't like it, leave'.
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I used to work for an US investment bank in London.

All employees, at all levels, were required to provide the bank with a comprehensive breakdown of all shares held and to move all purchases and sales to an in-house facility. In short: to show what shareholdings we held at all times. 

This requirement also extended to spouses so I was expected to also move my husband's shareholdings to my bank's control.

However my husband worked at a different bank ... and his bank had exactly the same requirement. 

Not holding any shares is unusual but being required to provide your employer with full disclosure of yours, and your families, shareholdings is quite common. Or at least it was in my day. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes I have.  Their view so far seems to be 'if you don't like it, leave'.
    That's perfectly normal in the corporate world. No employee is ever indispensable. 
  • New_in_the_fens
    New_in_the_fens Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have to declare absolutely every financial arrangement to my employer, for me, my partner and financial dependents. Shares, pensions, loans, bank accounts, insurance etc. I am not able to hold shares and certain financial arrangements in some companies at all. It’s surprising you are being told you can’t hold ANY shares as I thought my employer was very strict, but if that is your employers conditions of employment 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • BobHants20
    Options
    I have to declare absolutely every financial arrangement to my employer, for me, my partner and financial dependents. Shares, pensions, loans, bank accounts, insurance etc. I am not able to hold shares and certain financial arrangements in some companies at all. It’s surprising you are being told you can’t hold ANY shares as I thought my employer was very strict, but if that is your employers conditions of employment 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I can hold them.  I just can't 'easily' sell them, or buy any more.  I'm not (quoting the FCA text) "involved in the provision of designated investment business or collective portfolio management services" which is why I think it's wrong.  I guess I'm lucky that I'm not being asked to declare pensions, loans, bank accounts and insurance.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March at 1:46PM
    Options
    I can hold them.  I just can't 'easily' sell them, or buy any more.  
    That conflicts with your OP, where you said you 'need to attest that I will no longer purchase any shares anywhere in the world'. 

Putting restrictions on how 'easily' you can buy and sell shares is vastly less onerous than your original concern.

Which is it?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is only a temporary restriction. Why the urge to trade now? 
  • Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends on your role,but this is quite common. I can hold, and connected persons can hold shares, but selling is more difficult.

Our company also informs us that its not relevant if we hold a Multi Asset fund for e.g where we are not in control of the individual companies that are bought.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback