Expenses question for Freelancing role

Options
I've been working freelance for a charity for the last year. I have been told there is £200 worth of expenses attached to my budget. I said I would like a new PC. The company has said they would like me to have a PC they have had for a few years and claim for a printer and laminator that would benefit the other freelancers. 

Are the expenses 'mine' or do you think they should be 'shared' with my fellow freelance colleagues? 

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:
    I've been working freelance for a charity for the last year. I have been told there is £200 worth of expenses attached to my budget. I said I would like a new PC. The company has said they would like me to have a PC they have had for a few years and claim for a printer and laminator that would benefit the other freelancers. 

Are the expenses 'mine' or do you think they should be 'shared' with my fellow freelance colleagues? 

The expenses are to benefit the charity.
    The charity has identified the need that makes best use of the funds for the overall functioning of the charity.
    You will still receive a PC that is suitable to meet the need of the charity and support you in performing your role, so there would seem to be nothing more required.
  • jaxjax123
    jaxjax123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:

The expenses are to benefit the charity.
    The charity has identified the need that makes best use of the funds for the overall functioning of the charity.
    You will still receive a PC that is suitable to meet the need of the charity and support you in performing your role, so there would seem to be nothing more required.
    That's brilliant, thank you. I appreciate your answer. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:

Where does the £200 come from?  That is, is it a budget set by the charity and whatever you are working on is just part of their regular activities?  Or did they apply for and obtain funding from an external source specifically for a project on which you are working?
  • jaxjax123
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:

Where does the £200 come from?  That is, is it a budget set by the charity and whatever you are working on is just part of their regular activities?  Or did they apply for and obtain funding from an external source specifically for a project on which you are working?
    The money is part of a grant for the project I am working on. It needs to be paid back if it isn't used by the end of March. 
  • General_Grant
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:
    jaxjax123 said:

The money is part of a grant for the project I am working on. It needs to be paid back if it isn't used by the end of March. 
    So in theory they should be able to demonstrate to the funder that they have spent that on the project being funded.  Bumping it round by providing the funded project with, in effect, second hand IT and using the funding in buying new equipment to be used on a different project is not really correct. 

But perhaps the people who would use the new equipment are working on the same project.  And it sounds as though you have been able to work on the project perfectly well for a year without new equipment.

I would say that technically the new IT should be for your use but probably not worth making a fuss.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you a sole trader or operate via your own LTD?
  • General_Grant
    Options
    What's that got to do with how a charity spends its grant receipts?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Theres an IR35 consideration if they are a limited company and their client is buying/supplying equipment for them to use.
  • jaxjax123
    Options
    jaxjax123 said:
    jaxjax123 said:

So in theory they should be able to demonstrate to the funder that they have spent that on the project being funded.  Bumping it round by providing the funded project with, in effect, second hand IT and using the funding in buying new equipment to be used on a different project is not really correct. 

But perhaps the people who would use the new equipment are working on the same project.  And it sounds as though you have been able to work on the project perfectly well for a year without new equipment.

I would say that technically the new IT should be for your use but probably not worth making a fuss.
    I've been using my own ageing PC which is full of work stuff, I'd like it to be solely for my use rather than seeing work on it and emails popping up on it when I'm doing my own stuff. It's not a major issue, just preference really and you're right not really worth making a fuss over. 

I think I was more put out that it is being given to another freelancer on a different project for equipment they don't have because their funding is running out, just me being a bit daft :) 

• jaxjax123
    Options
    Theres an IR35 consideration if they are a limited company and their client is buying/supplying equipment for them to use.
    I'm a sole trader. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure