Bonus payment issue

Options
Hello team, 

Hope you're doing well. 
Long story short, from November 2023 I've been took over from my old company X who use to deliver goods for Y. So the new company called Y, before the overtaking process said everything will be the same, hours, overtime nothing changes. 

But obviously this never happened once they took us over and we signed the contract, they decided the delivery will be changed which is fair enough. Afterwards just before Christmas we got told a few people will be made redundant so obviously this was a shock. 

On the 23rd of December I was off sick one day. Between 25-30 of December we got a letter saying the bonus criteria is changed and it will be amended from January to March. 
Criteria state's if I m off sick between 1-5 days I get -300£ if over than you don't get anything doesn't matter if you're off sick (surgery/health problems)

I just found at because of one day which was 23rd of December I get less money -300. My question is this alright? Can they do this? bare in mind that the letter which explained the criteria was received after my sick day. 

Thank you

Comments

• Spies
    Spies Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No, I would challenge this with the company. 
    4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spies said:
    The trouble with challenging this is that it implies OP wouldn't have gone sick had they known about the change in bonus criteria...i.e. the 'could' have been well enough to work.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Jurassicpark96
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Spies said:
    The trouble with challenging this is that it implies OP wouldn't have gone sick had they known about the change in bonus criteria...i.e. the 'could' have been well enough to work.
    Thank you for the answers guys. It's not only me, I have college who had a strained back because of work being off sick in November for 2-3 days and he's in the same situation he got -300 which I really don't find it right. 

I m happy to read others opinion as well. 
    Thank you
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Spies said:
    I agree.

Personally I dont like these schemes as they actively encourage people to go to work when they shouldn’t.

Although they do help prevent people just taking random days off on a “sickie” - a comprehensive  and “robust” sickness policy will usually achieve the same result
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Most bonus schemes are discretionary so I doubt the OP will get far if trying to challenge the changes. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback