PS&P - Historical Debt

Options
Although I have heard about this forum I have never posted anything before so apologies iof I am in the wrong forum.

Today I got a letter that when I first opened thought It was a premium bond win. I then saw it was from a debt collection agency PS&P. It said to contact them within seven dates of the date which was the 6th March which made me think "scam". Anyway going through in it has invoice numbers from the council where I used to live. At the time I was disputing this and then paid a few times (£100 per annum to park) on my own frontage as they said it involved crossing council land (total con), The invoices have no date but |I am sure one dates back to 2007. Can this be done as I thought after seven years debts to government agencies were wiped out. And from what I have Googled PS&P sound quite dodgy. Also I heard nothing from the council prior to this.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    So if they are not clear what this is supposed to be, you send a prove-it and see what comes back.There's a link in the sticky threads

I am not familiar with PS&P

If this turns out to be parking charges, yes they have 6 years to start a court claim or it is statute barred.

I think you should find out what this s and post again
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How long ago did you move from that area?  If it was more than 6 years back I would suggest this might be statute barred.  

I would suggest also that you write to them and tell them that as it's more than 6 years it's statute barred and they must remove all information about you from their system and not contact you again.  And that if they do contact you again you will consider it harassment and a breach of data protection laws and repost it as such.  

If it's less than 6 years then ask them to prove you owe the debt as no one (don't suggest who) has contacted you about this previously.

Do not admit to owing anything, or having paid anything in the past.

Do not ring them and give them an easy way to harass you.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback