Better - Swimming Only

Options
Hello

I've been a Better member for about 10 years. The package is for just the local council pools (about 4) though I just use the very local one. This costs £25 a month. They've sent me a letter saying it's going up to £40 a month to cover all UK pools. When I queried this they said the local council only package is no longer available and that I had to move to the £40 national one. They did initially say I was on the national one but that wasn't the case. I guess there's I can do about this is there? Can they just withdraw a package like that?

Thanks

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What do the T&Cs say?  Likely there will be something in there about "we can change X, Y, Z and increase your membership on X months notice."  

Also have a look at what the alternative memberships are.  Our area has membership to the gyms and pools at a significant amount for the average adult.  Then there are lesser amounts to be paid if someone only uses the facilities M-F 9 - 5.  And there's a lower rate for seniors or others that have been referred by their health professional.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Lyncroft said:
    Can they just withdraw a package like that?
    Yes, otherwise that would be a quick route to bankruptcy if they were bound never to change packages, prices etc. 

Do you want to continue at £40 or would you rather cancel? Often if there is a major change then the only choice is accept the change or cancel your contract which may be on favourable terms in circumstances like this.
  • Lyncroft
    Lyncroft Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to you both for your replies.

I'll have a word when I'm at the centre tomorrow, but as you indicate there's not much I can do but agree or cancel. As usual the T&Cs have a catch all phrase allowing them to do as they wish. 

I remember when I joined it was pre-online days and you spoke to someone in person. He seemed to have the flexibility to offer different deals, hence the local council swimming only option (which isn't available online and never has been as far as I'm aware). I suspect there's not many on my deal. as It's quite good and they've moved everybody who was on it. What I do find annoying is when I rang up about this the guy said my account was national swimming which just isn't right....they'd obviously already moved my account.

I'm 60 in 8 months time and then I qualify for free swimming weekdays AM so that's good!

Thanks again.
  • Lyncroft
    Lyncroft Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Update on this. 

I emailed the CEO who forwarded it to customer services. They explained my package has been discontinued and everybody moved to the £40 package. However, they've agreed to reduce it to £30 a month but with the proviso it will increase up towards (?) £40 a month from next April. All in all a positive result I suppose. I'll probably go for the free senior rate weekday AM rate in December.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback