Paid sick leave

Options
What is typical sick leave allowance in private sector work?

I know NHS doctors and nurses are the most fortunate with 6 months full pay and 6 months half, but surely most SME and even large companies can't afford that. So what is typical for a professional job paying circa £60k a year? Also, how long does one need to be back at work for the allowance to "reset"

Comments

• secla
    secla Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldnt say there is a typical. For instance where i work they do it based on service. so i get 6 months full 6 months half but this is extrememly rare and most other places in the same sector would get very little or even none at all.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe any employer can dismiss you for any/no reason within 2 years of your start date. This could include ‘excessive’ sick leave. Though I don’t know if they can dismiss you whilst you are out on sick leave.
    Your prospects depend on the support you have from your manager.
    If you are not aware, look up Bradford score, as this can be used by some organisations to determine whether you need extra support or needs to be performance managed out of the organisation.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March at 7:31AM
    Options
    Six months of full pay then six months of half pay at the university where I work (after four years in post).
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I get 4 weeks paid sick leave (professional services, would be on 90k if I worked full time). I think it's less when you've first joined. Once you've used it you then have to wait a year to get paid sick leave again. 

There is a group income protection policy which kicks in at 26 or 28 weeks sick (can't remember which) and provides 75% of usual salary minus ESA.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There is no 'typical' sick leave.  It depends entirely on the employer.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The civil service has largely moved to 5 months full 5 months half pay depending on length of service. All on a rolling 12 months, however their are absence indicators that may kick in and start formal or informal action alongside your paid sick leave.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I work for a company with over 60 sites in the UK & we get unpaid sick for the first 3 days then SSP from day 4.
  • Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Penguin_ said:
    I work for a company with over 60 sites in the UK & we get unpaid sick for the first 3 days then SSP from day 4.
    Wow. So do all your colleagues take out comprehensive income protection?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    Penguin_ said:

Many people can't afford income protection.  SSP only is certainly becoming far more common that it was for most of my working life.  My sister-in-law works for a major clothing retailer and they only get SSP.
  • Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Kirkmain said:
    Penguin_ said:

Many people can't afford income protection.  SSP only is certainly becoming far more common that it was for most of my working life.  My sister-in-law works for a major clothing retailer and they only get SSP.
    How much is SSP nowadays? Surely not enough to cover lost income. What do regular folks do if they ever become too sick to work for months at a time (surely something that happens)?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback