Guidance for son

Options
Hey all,

Just after some advice or guidance please? I'll try to be brief.

After son left college last year basically had a summer job then when to work for a national stationary retailer. He's on the autistic spectrum and have to do a daily role on the tills which was chaotic he found it too much (he used till on his summer job but its not trying to remember multiple items each time). So he left in Jan to look for something similar to his summer job. Has to be part time as he suffers from sensory overload at times.

Wind forward. After 2 months he's not got a new role yet (seems to be a national trend that first few months after Xmas are always bad). He's had a few interviews (3 or 4) but not got any further. When we do mock ones he actually comes over quite well, you just dont know who he's up against and were also right next to a huge college campus which doesnt help)

Anyway wind on and he's gone to sign on for the first time at a job centre for UC. We've explained he's already statemented on the autistic spectrum and that the reason for part time.  They've also agreed for him to go from looking 35 hours per week to 16 and maximum of 30 mins travel rather than 90 for a job (sensory overload on a bus)

We've been contacted by a company called Seetec which seem to have some pretty horrific reviews for their 'service' and I think he said that going was voluntary. Jobcentre said they would get Seetec to contact us and made them sound very helpful. Instead Seetec seems to have multiple reports of bullying and harassment to get you into any job (and obviously no parents want to sent their kid into a 'meat grinder'). Anyone had any experience of them please? What do they do over what I thought the job centre coach would/should be doing? Sons already applying for jobs on a daily basis etc, contacted a local mental health charity for some volunteer work in their shops etc to further experience). Some have said Seetec have gone out of their way to try and drop you in it with job centre and get you sanctioned if you dont want to work with them. Seetec will also only do face to face in the centre of town (not impossible for him to get too, provided there is benefit in him going!)

JC wanted a fit note and it basically says 'may be fit for work' with 'workplace adaptions and amended duties' Fitnote reads shorter working hours and a controlled environment'

We've also applied for PIP (but the letter hasnt arrived) not too sure how long these take to get sent out?

Sorry for the long read!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March at 7:59AM
    Options
    The first thing he needs to doublecheck is whether it is voluntary or mandatory, if he’s not sure. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meat grinder is not happening :-)

its voluntary...seems a horrible organisation!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I suggest that your son frames the way he declines their 'help' along the lines of "thank you for letting me know about this opportunity. At the moment I feel I can fulfil my jobseeking requirements with out their help." Or something similar. Anything that sounds better than a flat out no, and makes it clear that he doesn't feel he needs their help at the moment. 

Meanwhile may be worth seeing if the NAS have anything useful in the area? https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/employment/autism-work-programme seems to offer a coaching programme for applicants, as well as awareness for employees, and https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/employment/job-opportunities lists some employers they work with. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Thanks for the links.

I've basically mentioned the anxiety of a new building and new faces far away (which is true)

And along the lines of 'at present we are able to meet the work commitment requirements by ourselves and our job/work coach'

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My BIL is autistic and works for Royal Mail. Would your son consider something like that? It's not just delivery jobs - BIL started out in the mail sorting depot and then went onto deliveries. He likes it as he doesn't particularly have to talk to many people and he likes the routine. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    He actually did some seasonal work there before and applied again to their temp agency but that just seemed to be short notice work?
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    He actually did some seasonal work there before and applied again to their temp agency but that just seemed to be short notice work?
     fairly typical in the spring 

retail ( and associated distribution and warehousing) have their quiestest time around this tiem of year 
    Agri is relative  quiet 
    other businesses  may be careful with their budget  at the end of the FY if they  have  over spent  agains  forecast in the autumn / winter 
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Unfortunately were in an area where there is a very heavy student population so local supermarkets vacancies are very limited and due to autism has some limits in distance and part time only work. He is getting some interviews but it is very quiet.

Not sure how voluntary work goes against work commitments for universal credit as he would like to be productive, keep cv gaps to a minimum, and basically its free work experience (which cant be a bad thin, sans payment).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback