Bankrupt still affecting me after 30 years

Options
Can an insurance company find out if I was bankrupt 30 years ago? My home insurance is £50 more expensive if I declare it. 

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I do believe if asked the question have you ever been bankrupt? You should answer yes...but 30 years is a long time. 
    I never had a problem with car insurance...contents insurance was a different matter 
  • Ommbiance
    Ommbiance Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have to answer the questions honestly, but it's ridiculous if they are clobbering you after all those years.    Have you tried ALL the insurance comparison sites? The reason I ask is that I live within 400 metres of water, and although all of the comparison sites ask the question, there is one which always comes through with lower quotes (sorry cant remember which one it is). I even double check the insurer has the question answered correctly on their schedule. So maybe you will find an insurer who does not take it into account?
  • barneyboy
    barneyboy Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have this problem every year, my building insurance is over £300 more than the other 2 flats within the building, seems pretty unfair that you are penalised for such a long time after discharge which for me was over 12 years.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Terrano0 said:
    Can an insurance company find out if I was bankrupt 30 years ago? My home insurance is £50 more expensive if I declare it. 
    Only if they really really try, and why would they?

However, I guess they might really really try if you made a claim that was potentially costing them tens of thousands
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April at 11:51AM
    Options
    are you sure that haven't asked have you been made bankrupt in the last 5 years, cos that's what the ask about insurance claims you may have had.

I would check to see how far back they want to know 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback